Used 2004 Dodge Sprinter Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Dodge Sprinter - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sprinter model:

25oo dodge sprinter
By splinter4

2004 Dodge Sprinter 2500 High Roof 158 WB 3dr Ext Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I bought a 2004 Dodge Sprinter new in 2006, had 500 miles on it. This is the most un reliable vehicle I have ever owned, always something, front ac unit condenser, burned out 2 alternators, driveshaft carrier bearing, then the driveshaft, viabration in driveline somewhere, now the rear end or wheel bearing or ? sounds like I have mud grips on rear. I have driven to 130K miles, I expected to get 250K but I cant stand this pos. Costs a fortune to maintain. I heard that UPS crushed their Sprinters at 120K miles because of maintenance and downtime.

I love the fact that nobody will work on it and that everything cost 2-3 times what a Ford or Chevy part would cost. Soured me on everything german..

Problems, problems, problems!
By Fitz454

Vehicle is continually in the shop and because there are very few Dodge dealerships that service it I have to drive it halfway across the state every time something goes wrong. I have had transmission leaks, transponder issues, turn signal issues, engine trouble lights, surface rust that they won't repair under warranty, AC pulley fell off, O2 sensor failures, etc. It has been so bad that they don't even list all the repairs on the sheet when I bring it in anymore. Fortunately I got the extended warranty but it's going to run out soon. I've read forums where people are having similar issues but every time I bring it to the dealership they say they never heard of these problems.

MPG, Comfort, Drivability (turning radius not handling).

Fix problems. Buyers beware.

best van
By John

2004 Dodge Sprinter 2500 High Roof 140 WB 3dr Ext Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I've owned all the other vans and this is by far the best, handling, fun to drive, mileage,21-22,and reliability. Go ahead and test drive one and you will see, Mercedes, thats what it really is, has the best idea

drivability

none

Great Van
By 04 sprinter

2004 Dodge Sprinter 2500 High Roof 118 WB 3dr Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

This van is the nicest one I've ever owned. Had 4 conversion vans before and this plain passenger van is the best. Great long distance comfort, great mileage, 21-22, dependable and durable. Slight trouble with the paint job but from talking to other Sprinter owners this is an exception. Don't be fooled the '07s don't get the mpg's, only about 16

Engine and transmission, flawless, 21- 22, mpg and fun to drive

None

Great concept, iffy execution
By sdeb

2004 Dodge Sprinter 2500 118 WB 3dr Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

This vehicle fills a niche in the market. If you want an economic diesel vehicle that you can use for hauling stuff or hauling family, then this is only thing out there that fits the bill. A mini-van can't tow, a pickup won't seat 7 people and a giant SUV won't get 24 mpg. It has an amazing payload, decent towing capacity, loads of interior space and is fairly economic (although diesel is pricey). The van has distinctive styling on the outside. The interior is spartan - rubber floors and plastic. As a van, it uses rear leaf springs and tends to be bouncy when unladen. That said, it's not uncomfortable, particularly on highways. Sort of noisy if you're not into diesel rumble.

Engine and transmission, economy, payload, distinctiveness, residual heater, low loading deck, space, tough

Squeaks, rattles, shudders, vibrations, not very reliable, been back to the dealer so many times it makes my head spin, not many dealers can service them, parts expensive, 118 now discontinued