2003 Dodge Sprinter Consumer Review: AVOID AT ALL COSTS!

2003 Dodge Sprinter - Consumer Review

AVOID AT ALL COSTS!
By henrod on

2003 Dodge Sprinter 2500 SH Ceiling 118 WB 3dr Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Bought one of the first 2002 models imported into the states and the day after I drove it home, it had problems. Steering rack was out after 1,500 miles had all the fuel injectors replaced twice, cylinder head was damaged by Freightliner dealer in Forest Park, GA and had to wait 4 months to have the part shipped in from Germany and installed. On my third turbo and fuel pump, have gone through the famed "Black Death", on my fifth transmission which required having the entire motor pulled to get to it. And after 135,000 miles, still having problems, at least they're not as frequent.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, slab sided design to keep the sun off your face, huge windshield, high quality interior, room to stand up in even with the standard roof.

Suggested Improvements

More power, less expensive, and better reliability.
By henrod2
on 01/05/14 16:58 PM (PST)

Ownership update at 156,000 miles, I've just discovered that I shall require yet another diesel fuel injector pump which will cost $950.00 for just the part and probably $500.00 in labor (many of the components in the engine bay have to be removed) This is by far the most money-sucking, most unreliable vehicle I have owned in my lifetime, and I do take care of my vehicles, I have a friend with an '04 Sprinter that hasn't had as nearly as many problems as mine, I guess the lesson is to never buy a vehicle that's brand new to a particular market, wait at least 1-2 years so that the bugs are worked out.