Used 2003 Dodge Sprinter Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Dodge Sprinter - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sprinter model:

A Nightmare
By junk13

2003 Dodge Sprinter 2500 High Ceiling 118 WB 3dr Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

We have had our 2003 Sprinter for 2 1/2 months. It has been in the garage for 3 weeks now and still after $2,000+ don't know what it is. It ran fine but it started being difficult to start. It would crank and crank and then finally start until it just wouldn't start. We had it towed to Freightliner thinking they work on these vehicles and would know their stuff. They first said it was a cranking sensor and a quanity control value. It took 2 weeks to get the part. Didn't fix it. Now they say they think it is the engine harness and if not that then maybe the fuel pump. Well still sitting there. If they ever get it started we are going to get rid of it. No more problems!!

Favorite Features

Body style and height.

AVOID AT ALL COSTS!
By henrod

2003 Dodge Sprinter 2500 SH Ceiling 118 WB 3dr Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Bought one of the first 2002 models imported into the states and the day after I drove it home, it had problems. Steering rack was out after 1,500 miles had all the fuel injectors replaced twice, cylinder head was damaged by Freightliner dealer in Forest Park, GA and had to wait 4 months to have the part shipped in from Germany and installed. On my third turbo and fuel pump, have gone through the famed "Black Death", on my fifth transmission which required having the entire motor pulled to get to it. And after 135,000 miles, still having problems, at least they're not as frequent.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, slab sided design to keep the sun off your face, huge windshield, high quality interior, room to stand up in even with the standard roof.

Suggested Improvements

More power, less expensive, and better reliability.

2002 Freightliner Sprinter is fantastic!
By Wild Imaginations

2003 Dodge Sprinter 2500 High Ceiling 140 WB 3dr Ext Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I got this van used in September 2005 and drove it home from Brighton, Co to Danville, CA. It drove perfectly fine. Fuel mileage was around 20 mpg. After 50k miles, the mileage got up to 22 mpg. Now after 106k miles, the mileage is up to 25 mpg combined city/fwy. Use it for my business and never gave me any problems. Even went on a trip from Danville, CA to Las Vegas, NV on one tank of diesel fuel. I was totally impressed!!! Everyone is always complimenting or asking questions about my Sprinter van. My kids think it's the ugliest thing in the neighborhood and refuse to be near it. Good for me, they won't bother asking me if they can use it. Will keep it for another 100k miles!

Favorite Features

Cruise control is great, seat warmers are great, great fuel mileage, short version is still very roomy, rear a/c is great, high beam headlights are super bright, great upright seating in front for commanding view of the road ahead, 8' clearance for most garages is available.

Suggested Improvements

Rear passenger seats need to be able to recline, put wheels on them as well for ease of movement, power seat controls on the front seats, fuel mileage display to monitor actual mpg, GPS option would be nice, need better interior lights and need sliding door assist for the older people like me!

MEDICAL TRANSPORT GUY
By MEDICALTRANSPORT

2003 Dodge Sprinter 2500 SH Ceiling 140 WB 3dr Ext Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I OWN A MEDICAL TRANSPORTATION COMPANY AND THIS VAN IS JUST WHAT MY BUSINESS NEEDED. IT STARTS AT 30 BELOW ZERO. IT HAS EVERYTHING YOU WOULD WANT. I CAN CARRY UP TO TWO WHEELCHAIRS AT ONE TIME OR ONE WHEELCHAIR AND 6 PASSENGERS NOT INCLUDING MYSELF THE DRIVER. VERY EASY TO DRIVE AND THE VIEW IS GREAT. MY CLIENTS JUST LOVE THIS VEHICLE FOR THE WAY IT HANLDES, NOT SPUNGY LIKE A REGULAR VAN BUT REAL BEEFY. THIS IS A VEHICLE FOR ANY BUSINESS AND IS ONE I WOULD RECOMEND YOU LOOKING AT.

Favorite Features

BEST FEATURE IS FUEL MILAGE, ALSO YOU CAN SEE VERY WELL WHEN IN THIS VEHICLE. THE SEATS ARE HIGH VERY NICE LAMOST LIKE AIR PLAINE PASSENGER SEATING.

Suggested Improvements

NEEDS TO BE MORE ACCESSABLE I HAD TO DRIVE 160 MILES TO PUCHASE IT. NEED MORE COLORS.

I love my Sprinter Van
By lgc30642

2003 Dodge Sprinter 2500 SH Ceiling 158 WB 3dr Ext Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Not only is this an awesome van for my construction business, it is dynamite for advertising because I am still the only one in my market are with one! It's been absolutely flawless so far. With 23+ MPG, it's much more cost effective than a pickup outfitted for tools. I've turned it into my "advervan" and business has picked up even in this down economy

Favorite Features

Unique appearance. Comfortable cab. Awesome on the space and usability. It's so darned easy to drive, turn, cruise down the road.........

Suggested Improvements

Can be a challenge in high winds on open roads. Speakers are duds. Otherwise, this Van is EXCELLENT!