2005 Dodge Sprinter Cargo Van - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sprinter Cargo model:
Great van
By jason the plumber on 01/06/09 18:12 PM (PST)

2005 Dodge Sprinter Cargo Van 2500 High Roof 140 WB 3dr Ext Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

This is the van for a service professional. You do not have to bend over to reach heavy tools and can stand up straight while grabbing parts. The first job I did after getting the van set with shelves and drawers involved removing an 80gallon solar storage tank. I hefted it out of the basement and stood it up straight into the van! What a back-saver. Got 27mpg one time, it averages about 23 all-around. It can carry broken concrete piled up about 3ft high in payload area.

Why can't America build a van like this?
By Beverage Equipment on 02/15/08 19:33 PM (PST)

2005 Dodge Sprinter Cargo Van 2500 High Roof 158 WB 3dr Ext Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

It may have a Dodge or Freightliner name but it is all Mercedes. Wht can't America build a 22ft long, 9 foot tall van, with a 3,000 ld payload and still get 23 miles per gallon. I love it, I just wish we could build the same. We can go to the moon, land a rover on Mars, but we can't defeat the Germans in the auto market.

Great Work Van
By tom on 11/14/06 10:35 AM (PST)

2005 Dodge Sprinter Cargo Van 3500 High Roof 158 WB 3dr Ext Van DRW (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I have owned this van for past year and I never had any problems. It's great on fuel and cheap to operate. I highly recommend it.

Best Van On The Planet
By beverageequip on 11/13/06 17:58 PM (PST)

Hauls like a tractor trailer, yet sips fuel like a VW. Doesn't get the 27 mpg as promised, but gets 21 mpg with it loaded to the max and an employee driving like he stole it. A little expensive, but worth it if you have the money.

Love the Sprinter
By New Monsoon on 11/02/06 16:29 PM (PST)

Just bought a 158" dualie 3500 SuperHighCab that is built for a touring band, with 4 luxury captain's chairs behind the driver/passenger compartment. It has the upgraded transmission cooler pump for towing and no passenger rear sliding door. Entry into the cargo area is through the back doors. Great standup height, lots of room to build custom benches/bunks in the back. Also, solid towing power and passing speed when towing 3500lb trailer.

Initially pricey, but worth it
By Glenn on 08/26/06 07:03 AM (PDT)

I live in Littleton, CO and use my van for garage door service and installation. I tow a 3200# trailer with about an additional 1000# payload. My Sprinter does well. Power is consistent even at high elevations, thanks to the fact that it is turbocharged. I did have a problem that took three service visits to correct. The outside temp sensor, located behind the rear license plate was the problem for its poor engine performance. Then they changed the oil with regular oil rather than synthetic at the first service interval. I will switch to a new dealer for service. My fuel mileage is between 18 and 19.5, with 17,000 miles on the odometer. It is really fun to drive.

Sprinter
By mser on 07/29/06 04:27 AM (PDT)

The Sprinter is by far the best service vehicle I have ever owned. It is fun to drive and a pleasure to work out of. My Sprinter is loaded at about 6900 lbs, (gvw) right now and my MPG is averaging 23 mpg. I was getting about 10mpg with my p/up truck and service trailer. The fuel savings alone is huge for a small business owner like me. This vehicle is actually paying for itself.

Great Van
By Great Van on 06/11/06 08:39 AM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Sprinter Cargo Van 2500 118 WB 3dr Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I've owned this van for several months now, and I have just returned from a 3400 mile trip to the east coast. This van has met all my expectations. It is fun to drive, is well put together, and has good fuel economy (considering it is a truck). I got nearly 30mpg on one full tank of gas on the interstate with careful driving. I ordered the van with special options since I wasn't in a hurry to take possession and I wanted this to be my last van purchase. I ordered the cruise control and the power windows and door locks. These two options have been very accommodating and I would suggest them to others, though they are a bit expensive.

Great Van Until it Broke Down
By marytom777 on 03/05/06 15:17 PM (PST)

We (husband/wife)use our van to haul expedited freight. It's really nice for a work truck. Unfortunately the crank shaft pulley fell off for no apparent reason. When the pulley fell off, it may have damaged the crank shaft where the pulley attaches. We were 1000 mi. from home with freight to deliver! It is in the shop now & with our warranty expired, it looks to be expensive. I would like to know if anyone else has had this problem. We keep it well maintained.

Sprinter Makes a Great Cargo Van/Truck
By superguitardealer on 04/28/05 01:55 AM (PDT)

This van has a HUGE open cargo space, great features, similar pricing to competition but gets better gas milage and has a larger area to haul goods/machinery! This van has saved us multiple trips by taking it all- we have our solution to our once pain in the neck logistics problem!