Used 2004 Dodge Sprinter Cargo Van Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Dodge Sprinter-cargo - Consumer Reviews

2004 Dodge Sprinter Cargo Van

View reviews for a specific Sprinter Cargo model:

DO NOT BUY IT FROM DODGE "DITTO"
By aspd

2004 Dodge Sprinter Cargo Van 2500 High Roof 140 WB 3dr Ext Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

We own two of these Sprinter vans. If you like having the bodies rust out, harmonic balancers fall out on the freeway, difficulty finding parts, long waits at the dealerships for service,THEN THIS IS THE VAN FOR YOU. Chrysler has no intention of helping it's customers when these things fall apart. And their Business Link program is not worth the paper it is written on. We have had both of them at different dealerships this week. Both sat over 5 days before even getting into the shop. Not worth the extra money you pay for these things.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature will be the cash I get when I take both of these to the auction as soon as we get them out of bondage at the dealership for the last time.

Suggested Improvements

Even if you could improve the product you won't be able to improve the customer service. Even the people who work on these don't like them!

After two I have had enough
By Paul

My company purchased two Sprinter Vans, one in 2004 and one in 2005 with high expectations. Other than being almost impossible to get serviced at any of the dealers (bought them from two different dealers)these vans have been a big disappointment. Dodge customer service is worthless and their "Business Link" program is a total farce. Bad paint (rust), harmonic balancers that fall off, turbos that come apart, incorrect parts for brakes, electrical problems etc. We have both vans in the shop now and it will be 4 more days before they can look at them. One has 85K and the other 110K. The idea was better gas mileage (yes) and less down time....A BIG NO. Really bad in wind and snow.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage and capacity

Suggested Improvements

Dodge should live up to their promises or not make them at all. Save your money and buy to alternate vehicles. The huge price is not worth the investment.

Very, very good, could be better
By SECOND ONE

2004 Dodge Sprinter Cargo Van 2500 High Roof 158 WB 3dr Ext Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

This is my second Sprinter. #1 was totalled in a collision. This van needs more comfort, seats, tilt wheel, better visibility from front windows (pillar blocks view badly). However, 24mpg is amazing, turn radius, efficiency and convenience is unbeatable. I would like to have the standard transmission (seen in Europe). We use it for transporting show dogs, it works great. Best in class. I did have a mysterious fuel delivery problem - needed some repairs. The electric door locks are quirky and blows fuses sometimes. Overall, I would buy a third one in a heart beat. Although barring any more collisions, this should hold

Favorite Features

Diesel engine. This is how to build a power plant. Transmission is fantastic and moves well in all kinds of road conditions.

Suggested Improvements

Better visibility. Better seating, tilt wheel. Perhaps better features for driving comfort.

Serves the Purpose Very Well
By antique traveler

Can't say enough good about it. It is fun to drive and performs exceedingly well, even over the mountains.

Favorite Features

Mileage is 20+ fully loaded. Interior height. I don't have to break a back when loading furniture. Great pickup and turning radius. Width allows pulling into regular parking spaces.

Suggested Improvements

The cruise control is right behind the turn signal and gets hit once in a while when indicating a turn. Doors lock when vehicle moves which means if you have to move two feet, you have to unlock doors again.

Some good, some bad
By Dan

I have found that if you are not carrying a lot of weight, the Sprinter is not very good in the snow. Winter cold air will get into the cockpit. A little on the noisy side. Radio reception is bad. I use the Sprinter as a showroom on wheels. Insulation is very poor in cargo area, if you work inside. Need the extra rear heater which I did not get. Seats very uncomfortable.

Favorite Features

Very good gas mileage, but it takes about 10,000 miles to break it in. Getting between 22 to 26 mpg.

Suggested Improvements

Better seats.