2004 Dodge Sprinter Cargo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sprinter Cargo model:
DO NOT BUY IT FROM DODGE "DITTO"
By aspd on 10/11/07 15:58 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Sprinter Cargo 2500 High Roof 140 WB 3dr Ext Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

We own two of these Sprinter vans. If you like having the bodies rust out, harmonic balancers fall out on the freeway, difficulty finding parts, long waits at the dealerships for service,THEN THIS IS THE VAN FOR YOU. Chrysler has no intention of helping it's customers when these things fall apart. And their Business Link program is not worth the paper it is written on. We have had both of them at different dealerships this week. Both sat over 5 days before even getting into the shop. Not worth the extra money you pay for these things.

After two I have had enough
By Paul on 10/03/07 19:57 PM (PDT)

My company purchased two Sprinter Vans, one in 2004 and one in 2005 with high expectations. Other than being almost impossible to get serviced at any of the dealers (bought them from two different dealers)these vans have been a big disappointment. Dodge customer service is worthless and their "Business Link" program is a total farce. Bad paint (rust), harmonic balancers that fall off, turbos that come apart, incorrect parts for brakes, electrical problems etc. We have both vans in the shop now and it will be 4 more days before they can look at them. One has 85K and the other 110K. The idea was better gas mileage (yes) and less down time....A BIG NO. Really bad in wind and snow.

Very, very good, could be better
By SECOND ONE on 04/02/07 19:17 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Sprinter Cargo 2500 High Roof 158 WB 3dr Ext Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

This is my second Sprinter. #1 was totalled in a collision. This van needs more comfort, seats, tilt wheel, better visibility from front windows (pillar blocks view badly). However, 24mpg is amazing, turn radius, efficiency and convenience is unbeatable. I would like to have the standard transmission (seen in Europe). We use it for transporting show dogs, it works great. Best in class. I did have a mysterious fuel delivery problem - needed some repairs. The electric door locks are quirky and blows fuses sometimes. Overall, I would buy a third one in a heart beat. Although barring any more collisions, this should hold

Serves the Purpose Very Well
By antique traveler on 11/28/06 10:20 AM (PST)

Can't say enough good about it. It is fun to drive and performs exceedingly well, even over the mountains.

Some good, some bad
By Dan on 07/28/06 03:55 AM (PDT)

I have found that if you are not carrying a lot of weight, the Sprinter is not very good in the snow. Winter cold air will get into the cockpit. A little on the noisy side. Radio reception is bad. I use the Sprinter as a showroom on wheels. Insulation is very poor in cargo area, if you work inside. Need the extra rear heater which I did not get. Seats very uncomfortable.

Best Small Company Van I know
By BruceFlora on 11/14/05 17:54 PM (PST)

2004 Dodge Sprinter Cargo 3500 High Roof 158 WB 3dr Ext Van DRW (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

This vehicle has excelent power and pick up for its size. It is fun to drive except in strong gusty side winds. It is confortable for long rides and easy on fuel. Seems to handle the same regardless of load except that it feels better with a load than it does empty. This is the overall best vehicle I can think of for a small company. It haneles great, brakes saved our lives several times recently. It is a great marketing tool with our logo on the sides since it attracts a lot of attention. It is unfortunate that the Dodge dealerships in the U.S. don't appreciate the great vehicle they have. There is very little knowledge on the part of sales staff and service personel.

Do They Use A Torque Wrench?
By avw4mud on 10/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Sprinter Cargo 2500 140 WB 3dr Ext Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I purchased A new 2004 HC2500 Sprinter Van in August 04. I love the van, though I am having problems. The fuel injectors started leaking badly. That was fixed. Now the trans has started leaking. The driver's side wiper fell off the other day, and the auto lock on the driver's door has stopped working, and the seat belt adjuster has broken as well. The remote locking system is very poor. I would expect better from the folks at Benz. On the positive side, the van gets about 22-24 mpg. It is very roomy and comfortable to drive on long trips. It is very quiet for a cargo van.

DO NOT BUY IT FROM DODGE
By band b on 08/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Sprinter Cargo 3500 High Roof 140 WB 3dr Ext Van DRW (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I have had it in three times for stalling out .The egr valve they tell me is the problum. The van only has 17,000 miles on it and it is now going in for the forth time. The seals on the doors leak so you get a lot of air coming in. The rear end is starting to make noise the MILE PER GALLON START OUT HIGH AND CONTINUE TO DECREASE AS THE MILES ADD UP. YOU ALSO CANNOT PUT A PALLET IN THE CARGO AREA ON A 3500. THE DRIVING LAMPS CANNOT BE TURNED OFF IF YOU ARE USING IT AS A EXPIDITER THIS IS A REAL PROBLUM ALONG WITH YOU CANNOT LEAVE IT IDLE FOR MORE THEN 15 MINUTES IF YOU ARE GOING TO BUY A SPRINTER DO NOT GO TO DODGE!!!!!!! GO TO A FREIGHTLINER DEALER

Cargo Van of the next millenea
By gardenerbob on 07/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

I have just taken possesion of my Sprinter(from Freightliner, not Dodge) and am thrilled to report that it was worth the wait(6 months for custom order). This van is meant for work. It can be customized for just about any trade.

company owns it.
By united delivery serv on 02/17/04 00:00 AM (PST)

the van is great.It is so dependable.it handles good going down the highway.could use a little more room around wheel wells.Ican start it easy.It run very well with a full load.also empty.doors need some improvement.the sliding door broke with it closed not being able to open the sliding door in this big of a van is very important had to take it in for repair.real nice windshield.good factory stereo.cuise is nice.