Used 1994 Dodge Spirit Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Dodge Spirit - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.5L 4-cyl. 3-speed Automatic - (19 reviews )

Decent car for money
By Ray

1994 Dodge Spirit Sedan 4dr Sedan

Hard to find a more rounded car for the $$. I own a 91 Plymouth Acclaim and a 94 Spririt. They have the usual issues around 100k such as the head gasket and the paint on the 94 (white) is flaking off. I get 22mpg average which is not too bad. The local salvage yard is full of these cars so parts are almost free. The car has a surprising amount of room and decent build quality. I've had both cars head gaskets replaced around 90k. I bought a rebuilt head for the 94 for <200.00. The ignition switch broke in both cars but is a really easy fix. I found a car at the salvage yard with a new switch and keys in it. Slapped it in and off I went. I keep spares on hand from salvaged cars.

Favorite Features

Quality overall, size, easy to work on. Cheap to own, and did I say cheap to own?

Suggested Improvements

Head gaskets, ignition switch. Paint(white/silver).

I wish they were all made like this.
By Lupdawg

1994 Dodge Spirit Sedan 4dr Sedan

These cars are like Wonka's everlasting gob stopper. Once you work the original kinks out, the cars last forever. Stay on top of the maintenance and it will be there for you. Mine has been broad sided and brought back from the brink of death. It still gets over 25 mpg hwy. Great car.

Favorite Features

Reliability. I have purchased a Caravan, a Grand Caravan, and a Yaris but I refuse to get rid of the Spirit. For a car that is practically 15 years old, the V6 will still get up and go.

Suggested Improvements

Better UV protection

Great lil mid-size
By Edwin

1994 Dodge Spirit Sedan 4dr Sedan

i bought this car for $300 from a lady that could not afford to fix it. It had 205,000 miles on it and it would hardly run, luckily parts are easy to find and reasonably priced. this car as the 3.0L V-6 built by Mitsubishi, which is a very powerful and reliable engine. all problems have been fixed and this thing ROCKS. Plenty of room for anything, seats 5-6 people, big trunk for speakers, handles well for its size and even better with bigger wheels 16s-17s. stops well and accelerates well with the V-6

Favorite Features

Very easy car to work on and theres more performance parts for it than you would think

Suggested Improvements

transmission shifts too softly and wonders for gears if pulling hills with a small trailer. And the paint chips but don't all early 90s Chryslers. Minor issues that are easily fixed

Best Car to Start with
By spirittttz

1994 Dodge Spirit Sedan 4dr Sedan

Well, I got this car off of my brother after he went to jail, sad story. It was my first car, I got with somewhere around 100,000 miles. It was in great shape. I learned everything on this car, what to do, what not to do. It ran through everything. Took only 1 tank of gas to get from Linesville, Pa. to Columbus Ohio and back (roughly 461 miles total). Good on gas, very sturdy, took a beating on dirt roads but never shuddered. Not much room inside though. The only thing that could stop this baby was a White minivan rear ending me at a red light. I wish I still had this car.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, reliability, build quality, comfort, fun to drive-ness.

Suggested Improvements

More space on dash, brighter headlights, bigger gas tank. KEEP MAKING THEM!

Good car some repairs
By mark

1994 Dodge Spirit Sedan 4dr Sedan

When I bought the car it had a burnt valve, and because of that it would idle in reverse or drive. The head gasket is a problem, but the engine is hard to hurt. It can pull a 1,000 pound trailer with 500 pounds of equipment. When you work the problems out due to age. It's a nice car.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, ride comfort, handling, pulling power.

Suggested Improvements

Head gasket, transmission, guages, passenger seat belt.