Used 1991 Dodge Spirit Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Dodge Spirit Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Spirit model:

I had a good experience
By Wall Street

1991 Dodge Spirit Sedan 4dr Sedan

I got my Dodge Spirit around 2003-04. It had the 2.5L engine which had decent pickup and was fairly good on gas. The seat had good back support and the interior was easy to navigate. The car was easy to drive and was absolutely superior on snow and ice to any comparable car that I have ever driven. I believe this is due to the weight and shape. I never had a problem with the car until I decided to race it super hard one night, allowing the RPMs to be very high for an extended period of time. This blew the cylnder head. If I had not done that, I would probably still be driving it today. I thoroughly enjoyed owning this car. I blew it up with about 130k miles.

One more gear for the automatic transmission.

Solid American Vehicle
By Lon

1991 Dodge Spirit Sedan 4dr Sedan

The drive and appearance of this vehicle are unremarkable. It may leak oil on your driveway but you will not kill this car. Despite being able to find parts in salvage yards the only known cause of death I can attest to has been by demolition derby. The best part is she won.

Long Term Owner
By JohnQ

1991 Dodge Spirit Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 1991 and have driven it for over 12 years. Repairs have been been minor and very few. Maintenance is easy to do myself and the parts are standard and not expensive. This is without a doubt the most reliable car I have ever owned, and has certainly been a good value. I keep thinking that I will trade it in when it dies but it just keeps on running great. I can still do 75 mph on the highway and it still gets 24 mpg driving around town.

Low cost of ownership. Very comfortable seating with lots of rear seat leg room. Reliable basic transportation.

None

Keeps on Ticking
By joburnet

1991 Dodge Spirit Sedan 4dr Sedan

When I bought this vehicle it had 84k miles on it and now it has almost 170k. It has lasted me through college and is still going and I have never had any major problems. It is starting to show it's age, paint is starting to peel in places, but it's never let me down and actually handles great in the snow. The 2.5 Liter engine is very good quality but I can't speak for the others.

Good, basic transportation
By PaulD

1991 Dodge Spirit Sedan 4dr Sedan

We bought the car as a demo car, back a long time ago. 10 years later, the car still runs great. Its not perfect, we've had a few things go wrong over the years. But what do you expect for an inexpensive basic car? The number of things to go wrong has been I think below average for a car with 200,000 miles on it.

Reliable

Factory batter cables lousy, buy good ones. Factory ignition coil lousy, buy a "performance" ignition coil.