1993 Dodge Shadow Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Shadow model:
My First Car ans an awesome one at that
By ken on 08/02/10 08:29 AM (PDT)

1993 Dodge Shadow Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I loved this car it was fun to drive all my friends loved it. For a small car it was powerful with a v6 3L engine. The only things that weren't so great about the gas was the gas mileage but wat do you expect from a 16 to 17 year old car And there's little room. This car was amazing but about 2 weeks ago coming home my back right tire snapped off where the axle met the rim so i don't know if I'm going to have it fixed because it might not be worth the money but it was an amazing car and was reliable until this one incident and i got the car from my grand father when it had only 46,000 miles on it in 08 and when i was done with it it had 68,000 so i used it well and it was a great FAST car.

28,866 and STILL GOING!
By Sharon on 05/07/10 07:33 AM (PDT)

1993 Dodge Shadow Hatchback 4dr Hatchback

This was the 1st vehicle I ever purchased without a daddy or husband...and at almost 29K miles, a daughter has driven it, a son has driven it, and now a grandson has driven it. It still runs GREAT. The 5-speed manual transmission makes it FUN to drive and I've been loving my Shadow for over 17 years. The BEST purchase I've ever made!

93 dodge shadow
By emily's car on 01/17/10 11:28 AM (PST)

1993 Dodge Shadow Hatchback 4dr Hatchback

Excellent car, nearly 200,000 kms on it and still going... Very comfortable and fun to drive, most reliable car, can sit for 2 weeks at below zero temp and still have no trouble starting. Not many repairs needed over the years. Love this car and will miss it when it's gone some day. Doesn't seem like that will happen any time soon tho!

Awesome Car
By nickmatt8191 on 01/20/09 22:01 PM (PST)

1993 Dodge Shadow Hatchback 4dr Hatchback

Great car. Has some rust & some body damage seeing as it had hit a deer when i bought it. but,it still runs great. Just needs a belt replaced.

The 300,000 Mile Beast
By Czarina on 03/19/08 14:14 PM (PDT)

1993 Dodge Shadow Hatchback 4dr Hatchback

The title of my review says it all. I am a 22 yr old college student who inherited the car as a hs grad gift in 02. My dad bought the car brand new in 93. This car always started, never died, and felt like a tank (I hit my 53 yr old iron/stone based mailbox @ 30mph day I got my permit, blasted it to pieces, and only put a small dent on the front bumper .. keep in mind plows have hit the mailbox tons of times ...) I miss this car, orig. auto. transmission started to go at 274,283 miles, and continued to run until it reached 275,963, then it froze up. I replaced it with a used one, and drove the car to 300,000 original miles b4 the used tranny decided to die on me ....

Good life
By bzieba on 04/10/06 10:10 AM (PDT)

1993 Dodge Shadow Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

This was the first of three we bought, and the last to go. It's on its last leg, but it's been a good car. For a 13 year old car and 155m plus miles later can`t complain too much. It's on its second tranny, the cooling system gave us a bit of trouble, the hardware is falling apart, the body is fair, minimal rust, paint held up very well, three accidents and still drives straight as an arrow. Mileage is fair, overall performance is down, but, I think these cars were made to "drive till they drop". Don`t see many of these on the road anymore. Nice while it lasted, but, time for the recycle yard.

Good while it lasted
By bzieba on 09/12/05 14:23 PM (PDT)

1993 Dodge Shadow Hatchback ES 2dr Hatchback

3rd shadow we have owned. nice car but watch out after you hit 100m plus miles, start your euology. These are what we call "throw away cars", after 10-12 years throw em in the junk yard. They will start to fall apart. Mechanically, body and hardware. Actually one is still going pretty good with 135m miles on it, the other two are done. Transmissions seem to be first, then cooling systems go haywire, and the usual minor repairs but will nickel and dime you . Gas mileage is allright, nothing to shout about though, ride is well, a ride in a small car, what do you expect. A pretty basic car, good for the high schooler or college transportation, not a family car though.

Poor Quality
By fgdt on 01/10/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Dodge Shadow Hatchback ES 2dr Hatchback

I've had to replace the altenator twice, I've replaced the battery numerous times. The clutch now needs to be fixed. The paint is chipping severly and the body is rusting. There is a leak in the roof when it rains. The sunroof wheezes when the car is driven. I've replaced both doors because they fell off the hinges. I've had to replace the water pump and numerous belts. This car is not reliable. Every time I got into it I worried about how far it would actually take me. I would not recommend that anyone who is mechanically inclined purchase this vehicle. If you like fixer-uppers and know a lot about cars this car is for you.

Average vehicle, good bang for buck
By lrhs54 on 09/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Dodge Shadow Hatchback ES 4dr Hatchback

Bought this shadow brand new. It has always been a suprisingly fast car. It was driven pretty hard, lost the tranny at 105k, alternator and distributor cap @ 80k. But it was in a serious wreck at 68000, and it never seemed to run like it did after being rebuilt. Now has 125k and oil is creeping in to the plugs, making for it to mix and misfire. I still drive it every day, and if you put your foot down it still moves pretty good. But the gas mileage has lowered to about 15-17mpg. Decent car for the money. Love American vehicles and believe in them despite this average score from the Shadow.

THE LITTLE TROOPER
By BLOND085 on 05/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Dodge Shadow Hatchback ES 4dr Hatchback

I bought my Dodge Shadow ES with just over 100,000 miles on it. I was expecting the transmition to blow (since it is a dodge and on its original tranny) but at 135,000 miles she's still shifting smooth. It has a 3.0 V6 Mitsubishi motor under the hood and packs quite a bit of power. She is amazingly quick, even with no mods. A couple small problems have arose due to her age and mileage, such as a leaky trunk and a sticky door. I've had to replace the motor mounts and the belt tightener.This car is absolutly great, it's quick, reliable, and comfortable with surprising room.