1992 Dodge Shadow - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Shadow model:
Good Small Car
By Glenn on 08/04/10 07:24 AM (PDT)

1992 Dodge Shadow Highline 4dr Hatchback

I had one of these I bought new in 1990 and put 100,000 trouble free miles on it. I bought a new one in 1992 for my mother-in-law and she drove it until she passed away. She loved it and it has sat the last few years as we just could not sell it. I started driving it again recently and it runs like the day we bought it. These were good cars for the money, this car has 77,000 miles on it without a single problem.

Fun to drive, wish it was more reliable
By kickspro on 01/21/10 11:20 AM (PST)

1992 Dodge Shadow America 4dr Hatchback

Got the car in May of 09, loved it. Drove good for about a week then the engines belt started squeeking, very annoying. Got a new belt and it was gone, car is very underpowered with a 2.2 4 cylinder in it. Car got good gas millage at the start of my purchase and got worse as days went on. The tranny leaked alot of tran fluid and had to refill it every few months. Car overall was very stock and basic but was a enjoyable ride. Didnt want to risk the engine and tranny going so I sold the beast.

Good Little Car
By materialman on 10/29/08 11:05 AM (PDT)

1992 Dodge Shadow Highline 4dr Hatchback

We bought this car with 8000 miles on it in 1993 for my Mother-in-Law. She loved it and would not have traded it for a new Mercedes. She has passed away now and the car is in mint condition with 77,000 miles on it. We have never had a minutes trouble from it and it will never be sold.

Best used car I have ever bought
By Spendaddy on 12/23/05 16:49 PM (PST)

1992 Dodge Shadow America 2dr Hatchback

Bought this car in Vegas with 85,000 miles in Jan of 2004. Drove 2700 miles in 3 days to Florida and not one problem. Car has 102,000 and I can't beleive that every option still works! Just change oil and repack bearings regularly and you will be fine. Paint is not the best, but who cares it's 14 years old!! Best used car I ever bought for $1000!

1992 dodge shadow america
By kottonmouthking on 04/05/05 11:32 AM (PDT)

1992 Dodge Shadow America 4dr Hatchback

I love this vehicle because you get over 300 miles on a full tank. It handles great.

Very inexpensive to own
By Bnad on 09/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Dodge Shadow ES 4dr Hatchback

I paid about $8,500 for this car in 1993. I'm very happy with the repair record; until just the last year, the car just has never needed repairs. The car is a V6 with plenty of power and I've never had a major problem with it. The body metal has lasted very well; the clutch has nearly 100,000 miles on it. The biggest problem right now is a squeak from the sway bar bushings, which the mechanic has convinced me is harmless. This is really the requiem for my car as the paint is faded, the clutch has started to slip, and I don't think it's worth it to replace it. But this has been a very cheap car to own, and great performance for the money.

MY RELIABLE SHADOW
By SHORTY on 08/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Dodge Shadow America 2dr Hatchback

MY SHADOW HAS BEEN WITH ME FOR 12 YEARS , AND IT HAS HELD UP PRETTY GOOD...IT IS A 5 SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION, EASY SHIFTING...HAVE HAD NO MAJOR PROBLEMS WITH IT...STILL HAS QUITE A BIT OF ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT...HOWEVER, I PRIDE MYSELF IN THE FACT I HAVE TAKEN CARE OF IT...IT HAS ALLMOST 112,000 MILES ON ITS 4 CYLINDER ENGINE...THE FIRST FEW YEARS, I DROVE QUITE A BIT ON INTERSTATE H IGHWAYS AND THE MILEAGE WAS OK, IF YOU DIDN'T FLUCTUATE YOUR SPEED UP AND DOWN...I WISH IT HAD BEEN A DIFFERENT COLOR, AND INCLUDED A SPOILER...HOWEVER, AT THE TIME, IT WAS IN MY PRICE RANGE...THE 2.5 ENGINE, HAS NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS...I WOULD BUY ONE AGAIN, IF I COULD!

Dodge shadow 3.0 ES 2DR
By Mopar41 on 07/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Dodge Shadow ES 2dr Hatchback

This car is one of the fastest stock dodge cars ever made. Its a great car to drive.With the 5spd, the car has much better acceleration than the auto.My car just happens to have a cold air intake and the turbo's 5spd tranny. It makes better 1/4 mile times but top speed is somewhat slower. Who needs to go fast on the city streets anyway?...ME! With the nitro, the car has 223hp. making the 1/4 mile in 13.8 sec!!! I've cut the car down 2.5'in, in the front and 2.0'in in the rear. I only did this to improove handling in high spd cornering.It has virtually no body roll at all. HAVE FUN!!!

Don't buy this car
By braklvr on 03/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Dodge Shadow Highline 4dr Hatchback

I bought the car in August/2002. Three weeks into my purchase, the head gasket broke. Two months and $800 later, the cam shaft broke. $300 later, it broke again. I have a good mechanic who didn't charge me the 2nd time but he said it will break again because the engine isn't holding the cam shaft in place right.

4 DR Hatchback
By mandy20 on 02/14/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Dodge Shadow America 4dr Hatchback

It is so much fun to drive. Very reliable and good mileage. About 21+ in the city. Excellent exterior quality and comfortable seats.