Average at best
By pylon_johnson on
1990 Dodge Shadow 2dr Hatchback
I received what I thought was a cream puff...in 2003, I was given my grandmother's 1990 Dodge Shadow with only 27,000 miles on it to use as a second vehicle. Overall, it was pretty average and dull, though I will say it did get around very well in the snow. I had owned a 1991 Escort a few years ealier, and to compare the Shadow to the Escort, which were competing vehicles, the Escort blew it away. On the surface, the Shadow seemed better, with more horsepower, larger wheels, and more options, but where the Escort was peppy and fun to drive and great on gas, the Shadow was like driving a lawn mower, and was not very good on gas for a 4-cylinder with 93 hp.
Favorite Features
14" alloy wheels on an early-90's econobox was high end in its day, and available features like cruise control and tilt steering wheel were nice. Standard driver side airbag was an industry class leader in 1990. But all the bells and whistles still couldn't help the lawnmower-like feel of the car, very underpowered (only 93hp to move over 2,600 lbs. of vehicle), and handled like a bucket of slop.
Suggested Improvements
Well, it's been many years since Dodge manufactured the Shadow...and probably for good reason. I either owned or drove many of the competitors from that era to this vehicle, and pretty much all of them were better...Ford Escort, Chevy Cavalier, Honda Civic, Nissan Sentra...