Used 1990 Dodge Shadow Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Dodge Shadow - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Shadow model:

Average at best
By pylon_johnson

1990 Dodge Shadow 2dr Hatchback

I received what I thought was a cream puff...in 2003, I was given my grandmother's 1990 Dodge Shadow with only 27,000 miles on it to use as a second vehicle. Overall, it was pretty average and dull, though I will say it did get around very well in the snow. I had owned a 1991 Escort a few years ealier, and to compare the Shadow to the Escort, which were competing vehicles, the Escort blew it away. On the surface, the Shadow seemed better, with more horsepower, larger wheels, and more options, but where the Escort was peppy and fun to drive and great on gas, the Shadow was like driving a lawn mower, and was not very good on gas for a 4-cylinder with 93 hp.

14" alloy wheels on an early-90's econobox was high end in its day, and available features like cruise control and tilt steering wheel were nice. Standard driver side airbag was an industry class leader in 1990. But all the bells and whistles still couldn't help the lawnmower-like feel of the car, very underpowered (only 93hp to move over 2,600 lbs. of vehicle), and handled like a bucket of slop.

Well, it's been many years since Dodge manufactured the Shadow...and probably for good reason. I either owned or drove many of the competitors from that era to this vehicle, and pretty much all of them were better...Ford Escort, Chevy Cavalier, Honda Civic, Nissan Sentra...

The Machine
By Mo-Jo

1990 Dodge Shadow 4dr Hatchback

Bought car with 64,000 miles for $2,700 and drove it to 240,000 miles before it died. I only wish I could find another work car like this.

Nothing special here.

Does it really matter now Is the Caliber gonna last like the shadow did?

I'm finally selling it
By Quickag54

1990 Dodge Shadow 4dr Hatchback

I'm the original owner of an '89 Shadow 4 door 2.5L non turbo. Let's face it, this car has been about as much fun to drive as a shopping cart. But fun is sometimes secondary to what a car should be about. Unlike other Chrysler made vehicles that I have owned, the Shadow has been an icon of reliability and stallworh dependabilty...under all types of conditions.

Comfy front seats. Good A\C. Good traction and handling. Very useful hatch. Stainless exhaust.

Headlights could be brighter. Under powered engine.

Turbo fun!
By Sean V

1990 Dodge Shadow ES Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I bought this car for $1000 canadian, it was in very good condition, all i had to do was some exhaust work. Since has been working very well. I was very surprised by the amount of horsepower (150) out of the 2.5 litre, 4 cylinder engine... especially the fact that it is now 12 years old, and has 197000k's. At least my first car was a decent one.

The 195/60R15 tires, with aluminum wheels, make for easy cornering, and lack of tire flex, while the turbo chager is great for get up and go... with a 0-60 of around 7-7.5 seconds. everything on the dash is right were it's needed.

some of the electronics, such as the stereo on alot of the '90 es models i have seen become distorted, and must be replaced. Other than that, that is all i can think of off hand.

Me and My Shadow
By Mom

1990 Dodge Shadow ES 4dr Hatchback

I love my car. I am the only owner and the only problem I have had was the fuel pump went out. Shame they don't make them anymore.

The seats are more comfortable than some of the newer pricier cars.

Make some 2003 models