Used 1996 Dodge Ram Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Ram Wagon model:

Land Yatch
By D. I. Waring

1996 Dodge Ram Wagon 2500 SLT 3dr Ext Van

Dodge Vans have always had very powerful, very dependable engines; so the passing power in my 360 equipped version while impressive (6000 Lb van) is not surprising; handles very well too! What is surprising is the interior arrangements and use of space. someone finally got it right. ususally I had to choose between large center console convenience (Ford) or ample foot space/ leg room (all others). Now Dodge has them both! and i just love the table top that flips out with an extension between drivier and passenger; plus cup holders that will easily hold a super gulp or 1 liter bottle, wow!! the outward visibility is excellent through very large windows, yet deep tinting allows for privacy.

Favorite Features

Dodge has retained the traditional van appearance while doing much to improve the aerodynamics and ergonomics. Dodge learned their lessons well from the minivans too; these large vans are very stable and handle very car like with almost no body lean (2500 model).full size comfort & fun to drive!

Suggested Improvements

The only thing I can suggest is for Dodge to keep learning from their minivan experience. The large bench seats in the rear should be able to both fold flat creating a king size bed behind you. That would make these vans qualify as RV's!!! Add 4wd and....

Best Full Size Family Van
By Marine 1

1996 Dodge Ram Wagon 2500 SLT 3dr Ext Van

This was my second Dodge family Van. The first was a 1980 model, 250 3/4 ton, we had it for 10 years. Never let us down, exceptional utility, good gas mileage, prone to body rust. 1996 SLT (Luxury) 2500 model 3/4 ton, has firm good handling suspension,(1500 1/2 too soft-wallows) 5.2L Magnum V8 AWESOME! 4 speed Torqueflite transmission, 3.55 ratio HD rear axle. 50,000 mile average fuel economy 15.6 Roomy, good looking vehicle, easy driver, great visibility, no mechanical/electrical problems, simple service, No rust. Many 24hr. trips Mass. to Fla.

Favorite Features

Exceptional premium cloth seats-real comfort! Great(dual)heat/AC. Many vent windows too. Outstanding room. Responsive engine/transmission. Powerful brakes.

Suggested Improvements

Worst feature-Wind noise! (Later models dropped rain gutters). Disliked large single door in back(SLT). Missed dual rear doors.

Big Blue Van never dies!
By duckboy

1996 Dodge Ram Wagon 3500 Maxi 3dr Ext Van

I admit it. I own a big blue van. The big, 15-pass airport shuttle bus van. I bought it because I race motorcycles all over the country and I don't like towing a trailer. I can fit two bikes, all of my gear, my significant other, and still have room to crawl in the back seat and take a nap. Very noisy, interior trim is very cheesy, and I've broken a lot of plastic pieces. However, the drivetrain seems bullet proof. I almost ran it out of oil once and I just refilled it with no consequences. Has a lot of highway power, but oviously slow off the line, seeing how it's nearly 6,000 lb. dry.

Favorite Features

It will carry almost anything dry and secure. The view is great sitting up high, and the motor has proven to be stong and reliable. The front seat are really pretty comfortable with lots of bolstering - you need it with the body roll this thing has!

Suggested Improvements

This van has not really changed since the '70's, and it rides like it. Lots of road noise, lots of wind noise. You have to continuously turn the stereo volume up and down to match your speed. The paint on the roof will go bad - you can't reach it to wash it.