1997 Dodge Ram Van - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ram Van model:
Some problems but
By Msmary on 10/03/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Ram Van 1500 3dr Van

We purchased the van new in 1997. It had been a good running vehicle other than every 3-4 years we had to replace the water pump. Pump cost 100 buck putting it in was 400. We never had a brake job until 2007. Took it in and the brakes fell off in the guys hand. But with the van at almost 150,000 miles, we are having more problems. I have already put in over $1000 into it and now the transmission is going out. They (mech) told me the brakes are going bad again also. I've also notice it getting a bad oil leak now. But for 13 years she served her purpose. Overall, it was a nice family vehicle. If I had to do it over again. Dodge...yes

Great work truck
By Phone Man on 02/25/09 19:13 PM (PST)

1997 Dodge Ram Van 3500 Maxi 3dr Ext Van

Just want to say this has been a good van for our company bought with around 100k currently has 232k still on original engine 5.9 with overdrive. Van hauls all our equipment well with room to spare, pulls trailer fair. Just been a good reliable rig.

Clifford, The Big Red Dodge
By Mike on 11/22/08 09:04 AM (PST)

1997 Dodge Ram Van 1500 3dr Ext Van

To set the record straight I bought my 1997 Dodge B1500 from a private party for $300 when the vehicle is worth $2500. It is a conversion van made by Primetime and I fell in love with it as soon as I drove it, though it stalled from a dry gas tank and the serpentine belt snapped, I felt like I had to have it. It is reliable for it has a small block v-8 and my father and I were shocked to see it still running strong with the work it needed and how bad the oil in it was. I.E. in severe need of a tune up and brakes. It still needs a bit of work but it preforms great! Gas economy is good too: 17-21, no lie! It is my first car and I love it greatly!

Nice Van for the Money
By Scott on 07/14/05 14:16 PM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Ram Van 2500 3dr Van

I leased this van as a used conversion van from the dealer in '99 with 20,000 miles on it. We have taken it on 2 trips to Florida and 1 to Green Bay Wisconsin from NY. It has been very reliable with the 3.9 V6 and 3 speed auto tranny. The ride in higher wind gusts is much better than that of the Ford or Chevy. Most who drive a full sized van probably have been blown all over the road, but this van is much more stable.

i miss this van
By JLJones on 12/07/04 13:37 PM (PST)

1997 Dodge Ram Van 1500 3dr Van

I purchased this van 1 year old used, a former fleet van. I have owned a 1991 dodge van previously. 1997 van had 3.9l v6 and 3-speed automatic trans. drivetrain not high on power but reliable and the transmisson worked well only problems were a cracked catalyst caused by using bosch platnum plus-4 spark plugs. ran this van overloaded most of the time and regularly exceeded tow rating bu 1500-2000 lbs van held up well to 3-years of my abuse then i traded it for a new 2001 dodge van. my 1997 sold to a friend of mine had 56,000 miles at trade now has 130,000 with no trouble while my 2001 van has been a nightmare 38,000miles 3 sets brakes weak 318 v8 and terrible tranny, eats rear tires, leaks, junk. will buy a ford van next time

Grand Caravan overall review
By Phil Balyeat on 11/30/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Dodge Ram Van 1500 3dr Van

Just got new Michelein tires and paid $277 to stop a couple of little oil drips under van.Otherwise this has been a very reliable vehicle to drive.