1996 Dodge Ram Van 2500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

1996 Dodge Ram b2500
By donnie71281

1996 Dodge Ram Van 2500 3dr Van

I find this to be the best Van we have owned. Runs like a tank and has never left us stranded. Now it has around 124k on it and runs as well as the day we got it. This year I've spent time doing preventative maintenance since it is now 14 years old. These vans are also very easy to work on. Gas mileage is also very good for this giant van. I get 10mpg-14mpg city(depending on the weight of my foot)and 26mpg on the freeway. The 5.2L 318 is a fantastic engine.

Favorite Features

Pretty much everything.

Suggested Improvements

The only thing I do not like is the Cooler that is installed,by the conversion company, into the tv console between the two front seats. It tends to rattle a bit. Though, this isn't something Dodge did.

bad design
By 2500 mad owner

1996 Dodge Ram Van 2500 3dr Van

I have a leak on my upper radiator hose. What a joke this engine design is. There is not consideration of maintenance . I was a Air craft mechanic for many years and I have never seen a miss like these full size Vans. You have to take the Alternator out and a bunch of other stuff to get at the bolts on the thermostat housing. Did any one thing of Quick disconnects for the Electric lines? And why not add on to the engine block to install the thermostat. I am going to look into buying a Toyota Van . No wonder they are going out of business.. And this is the second Dodge Van that the differential went bad on. This Van only has 100,000 miles on it and everything going bad.

Suggested Improvements

redesign the entire van. Thinking about maintenace make it easy to work on. Redesign the the differential so it last longer

Dodge Elk Conversion
By Tom

1996 Dodge Ram Van 2500 3dr Van

1996 Elk Conversion. This vehicle is great for traveling with 5 or more people I also have a Suburban which is better on the highway and in winter driving and is more comfortable for the driver, but has nowhere near the passenger rooom that this van has. Driver visibility is good and I have had very few mechanical problems to date. This has been a good reliable vehicle for our family.

Favorite Features

Rear passenger leg room is unbelievable.

Suggested Improvements

Suspension is soft. Improve gas mileage.

Excellent reliable work van
By kabinfeevr

1996 Dodge Ram Van 2500 3dr Van

I bought this vehicle new and performed all scheduled maintenence as directed. Vehicle has been in for major cost service only once and that was to replace all belts, hoses and filters (voluntary) after 100000 miles. I use only Mobil-1 synthetic oil in all of my vehicles. I have hauled tons of equipment and supplies in this van and it never tires of the punishment. I still drive it 13 hours at a clip on I- 95 between VA and FL with no worries and no trouble. I also use it to tow my 21' cuddy-cabin sport fisherman. It is highway/road noisy, but remember folks, it IS a cargo van.

Favorite Features

HD transmission, great 318 engine, typically excellent Chrysler/Dodge A/C system, chills the entire van with ease. Seats are surprisingly comfortable on long trips.

Suggested Improvements

Could have used a better audio system. I replaced mine with an aftermarket system designed to overcome the road noise.

Dodge 2500 Ram Van V6
By FN

1996 Dodge Ram Van 2500 3dr Van

Timing Chain and gear replacement at 75000 miles. Thermostat replaced at 76000. Hard to start and keep running when cold. Noisy engine overheats. Leaks rain at all doors. Bad roof design retains rain water, encourages rust-through. Build quality shabby. Door stops breaking. Metal at front hinges cracking. Roof welds show movement. Paint flakes for no apparent reason. Rear muffler hanger fails. Driving: Crosswinds push vehicle around. Gutless on long moderate hills. 13 mpg avg. Cramped legroom.

Favorite Features

None.

Suggested Improvements

This was a body style that should have stayed in the 1970's, not been carried on into the 90's with minor cosmetic tweaks.