Like, but sort of hate it
By iamnatman on
1991 Dodge Ram Van B350 3dr Van
Not sure what to say about it... I bought my B250 about 4 years ago for a stupidly cheap price. My biggest complaint is the gas mileage. I think on good days I can get about 11-14 mpg. I think I've had about 6 break downs in the 4 years I've owned it. Changed fuel pump twice (my fault on one), u-joints, evap core, radiator/hoses, and cat converter/muffler. Funny enough, the core engine/transmission itself is great... It's the little bits on the side that keep it going that seem to fail. It always fires up when those bits work, and the engine never burns oil, and the trans. never slips. I'd say back in it's day, it was a pretty reliable vehicle.
Favorite Features
The size, mostly. I've been able to haul so much stuff with it, and the 7 seats are nice to have for the family. Easy repairs. Unlike cars/trucks, these "max" size vans have that removable hump inside so you can get full access to the engine. This makes repairs and tune ups very easy to take care of. Mine was surprisingly rust free, but it's hit and miss with these old vans. Just make sure you check under the body for it. Low gear acceleration... These things are peppy in 1st/2nd gear.
Suggested Improvements
I've had the AC unit fully repaired, but it's very weak for backseat passengers due to how much interior space there is. In the hotter summer days, it takes a very long time to fully cool the entire van. Wished they added rear cooling. The heat is fantastic, though. A voltage regulator NOT in the ECU... I don't know who thought that was a good idea, but never ever put one inside of the main computer. When that thing goes (which mine did), you have to either change the entire ECU, (expensive part, and has to be programmed by a dealership), or wire a separate regulator and bypass it.