Used 2009 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 3500 model:

former ford guy
By rk

2009 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 SLT 4dr Quad Cab 4WD LB DRW (6.7L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I traded in a 2000 ford with the 7.3 diesel. It was chipped and had after market exaust, intake and after market 4r100 trans. This is my 2nd Dodge (had a 72 PW) So far I'm liking this truck, the ford was much faster from 0 to 60 but the 6.7 Cummins has better low end torque and pure pulling power. It handles a 14,600 pound 38 ft toy hauler very well(in the mountains of Oregon). The 6 speed manual allows me to keep it in the power band on hills without much effort. The milage is not great yet but I am hoping for improvment (14.5-16) empty and 10-12 pulling. The over all build quality isn't what the ford was, only time will tell if it all holds up.

Favorite Features

The 6.7 teamed with the 6 speed manual. The rugged good looks and the exaust brake

Suggested Improvements

Ecm software that does'nt block after market tuners. The infinity sound system is not what I expected and the interior needs some upgrading(big time)

nice truck
By bg

2009 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 ST 4dr Quad Cab LB DRW (6.7L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Have had my new truck for 2.5 months and have 4800 miles on it. I use it for work and tow a 21 foot toy hauler loaded that weighs roughly 9000lbs total. Have 6 spd manual and it works particularly well since I drive over the high sierra mostly. Fuel mileage on my most recent long trip (3000 miles) averaged 10.5 for the duration. That was through Northern Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico and Arizona. Worked great love the power. Yesterday hauled firewood with a 7000lb dump trailer in snow and decomposed granite. Use low range which shifted in beautifully and having the exhaust brake is a big plus. I enjoy driving the truk itself really like Uconnect and the general feel.

Favorite Features

exhaust brake, built in sattelite radio, manual shift and of course the Cummins

Suggested Improvements

built in brake controller should come standard with running boards.

Good Drive
By Alaska Drifter

2009 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 SLT 4dr Quad Cab LB DRW (6.7L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I have just purchased this vehicle and I am very satisfied so far. I have a 2900 lb truck camper loaded in it and power wise it has no issues. The camper does cause it to sway a little but with air bag add-ons I don't think that it will have any trouble. The mileage with the camper is about 11 but I figure that since there is only 1000 miles on this truck it should get a lot better.

Favorite Features

The power is awesome, great shifting transmission.

Suggested Improvements

A few more cup holders and places to store things in the cab would make it a little nicer but that is probably just personal preference. Great rig!

2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie 4dr Quad Cab
By Louie

2009 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 Laramie 4dr Mega Cab 4WD SB DRW (6.7L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

So far I like this truck after only having it for a month. We are going RVing full time so we purchase a 38' 5th wheel and I wanted the power. I love the uconnect and the exhaust braking most so far.The ride is not great and so far I am only getting 14 to 15mph not pulling the RV. The mirrors are not great for a RV cause they don't extend out far enough.

Favorite Features

uconnect, exhaust brake, GPS and satellite radeo. power/heated seats.

Suggested Improvements

Better ride, seats are very hard. The nob for the GPS seems like it would not take much before it snaps off. Bigger fuel tank or add another tank. Do something with the tailgate to make it lighter to close like the fords have. Air ride would be nice.

Feature Rich?
By ToGT

2009 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 Laramie 4dr Quad Cab 4WD LB DRW (6.7L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

This is still new so the mileage has not settled. First Cummings and it has impressed, much more responsive than my Detroits and the International. I miss the full steel front bumper and I'd like a heavier rear bumper. With the 4x4 it is pushing my equipment trailer like it's weightless. Also never considered a truck with a sunroof, but I'm loving it. uConnect is great, dials both phones. NOW the bad, wanted the heated & cooled seats, toolboxes, climate control, lifetime warranty. These are 1500 only.

Favorite Features

Power, economy (beats all my others), seating, uConnect, mirrors, sunroof - still can't believe it, 4x4 control & indicators (beats my 1500).

Suggested Improvements

Delete the Alpine Nav, give me Garmin. Cup holders from my 1500. Built in brake controller like the F350 and the tailgate step. Behind seat storage like my Silverado. Give me the rest of the 1500 features. This truck was over $50K.