2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 3500 model:
Folks, it's ALOT of truck!
By Steve Watson on 10/01/09 18:59 PM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 SXT 4dr Mega Cab SB DRW (6.7L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I guess I've been lucky. I traded my '06 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab on a '09 Dodge Ram Quad Cab. I was not impressed with the '09 at all! Talked myself into trading for a leftover '08 Dodge Ram Mega Cab with the 6.7 liter. (Planning on buying a 25' + boat or a 30' camper within the next year). I LOVE the room and as it's the 3rd diesel I've owned, I'm impressed with how quiet it is. Only has 3800k on it to date BUT I've had no problems. I've run 100mph wih it and it runs like a watch. I will admit, for a turbo diesel, the mileage stinks but according to the owners manual it should improve after 6k. Listen folkes, it's a heavy truck! Your NOT going to get 25mpg+ out of it, BUT tow,tow,tow!

Dodge Ram 3500 "dually" issues
By Susan S. on 09/09/09 11:14 AM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 SXT 4dr Mega Cab 4WD SB DRW (6.7L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Vehicle has been in the shop 8 times in 7 months. Check engine light has been on 5 different times and truck has what has become known as a "death wobble" which is likely a problem with the track bar. Problem with death wobble has occurred on 3 separate occasions about 1 month apart. It is a very severe but inconsistent problem with the steering when you hit a bump or dip in the road. The front of the truck and the steering wheel shake violently while the truck sways from side to side. It causes a serious loss of steering capability. Two different dealerships have been unable to correct the problem. Sharp looking truck, but would not recommend.

3rd time dodge truck onwer all diesel
By ruger1 on 08/08/09 18:36 PM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 ST 4dr Quad Cab SB (6.7L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

The check engine light has been on for no obvious reason. Took it in to the dealer and they got light to go off. After about 5 miles down the road it come back on. The last couple times I had it up in the mountains, the emissions 90% full came on. I took it to a dealer they had it for 3 days but didn't work on the problem. They were more concerned with the recalls on it. I took it back up to the mountains again, same thing happened, 90% full. I pulled off the side of the road and an old farmer stopped by, he said to run it like a john deere tractor and I did,the emissions worked its way back down, and went off.

New Emissions/Terrible Mileage
By robellom on 03/14/09 07:12 AM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 Laramie 4dr Mega Cab 4WD SB DRW (6.7L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I have driven my truck approx 2900 miles and I am averaging 12.5 MPG without pulling a load. If I hook my 36 FT camper that weights 8500 lbs, I drop down between 7.5 and 9 MPG. I have to say that I am very disappointed in the mileage. Based on discussions with friends and strangers alike who own a Mega Cab dually, I bought this truck with the expecting 15-20 MPG regardless if I was pulling something or not. Hopefully some research can fix the poor gas mileage these trucks are getting. I did not have a problem with the power but the Cummings is not what it used to be. When you give it some gas to get the torque behind it, the gas mileage drops to nothing..

Great truck, buy one and see
By drill deal on 02/17/09 10:24 AM (PST)

2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 SLT 4dr Quad Cab 4WD LB DRW (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

I am a drill sergeant in the US Army at Fort Leonard Wood MO. I love this truck. It tows great. It is comfortable and everyone loves it. The fuel will improve some after break in. Cummins is the way to go! Look at their track record. They are in iraq with power generating generators for US soldiers. They are in Kuwait, Africa, the army's choice in diesel power. If the army uses it, you and I know there is a reason, a long reputable reason. This truck will be with me until I put at least 500k miles on it. Ford made the faulty 6.0 powerstrokes, and Duramax has not put the time Cummins has in engines. Go and get a real Dodge working machine, for less. A US Army leader said so!

Not up to snuff
By Stitch-in-time on 12/23/08 18:54 PM (PST)

2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 SLT 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (6.7L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I was told this truck would get 20 mpg, wrong. On a good day it is 15. Don't believe the computer. It is much higher off the ground than my old truck so it makes getting things in and out the bed even harder. To date I have not had the reliability problems of others although it is often hard to sift into gear. Its towing is okay. The interior is poorly designed. During winter it is 4 wheel drive all the time otherwise skids. Chrysler went for power and appearance on this truck. I wish I had my 1996 back.

Don't buy this for Hauling!
By White Lightning on 10/30/08 09:59 AM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 SLT 4dr Quad Cab SB (6.7L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Our small company purchased this Dodge truck because we were told that it would have no problems hauling a trailer that weighed 20,000 pounds loaded. From the beginning we had problems with this truck. Within 600 miles the check engine light was on. The DPF didnt work right, the fuel filter had to be changed constatly or it would lose power. And finally, the bid one was the transmission. At about 70000 miles the transmission got so hot it burned the brake lines and caught on fire. So, the engine might be good for 500K miles and doing heavy work, but the rest of the truck is not! Think twice before buying one, or you will be very familiar with the waiting room at Dodge's mech shop!

Its time for Dodge to Step Up!
By Pissed Off at Dodge on 10/20/08 14:11 PM (PDT)

I Have a 2008 3500 Mega Cab 4x4 SWR truck. I have had this truck for less than 2 months. I use this truck but treat it very well. My rear driveline came into contact with the ground (very gently and at less than 1 mile an hour), this is supposed to be a 4x4 Heavy Duty Truck, this is not, Dodge has put an aluminum driveline in this heavy duty truck that is so delicate that you can punch it and dent it. Ranchers, Cowboys and Cowgirls and Hunters BEWARE, this is no heavy duty truck. Dodge will not stand behind this issue and it will cost $850.00 to replace the driveline. That is right I have to replace the driveline with less than 4000 miles on a $50,000 truck. Not heavy duty at all!

DPF nightmare
By mountaingirl on 10/16/08 07:55 AM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 Laramie 4dr Quad Cab SB (6.7L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

We purchased a 2008 6.7 Laramie. Now it only has 20,000 miles and it has been towed three times in 2 weeks. It shut itself off when Catalytic warning came on. My husband lost power brakes and steering doing HWY speeds. My hubby and 7 yr old were almost killed in the truck. We will never buy another Dodge truck again. We have went to a Lemon Law attorney who is suing Chrysler. Our linkage cable to shifter went out. DPF filter and whole exhaust had to be replaced, check engine light on. Although covered under warranty it was a $8,000+ fix not including labor. Had to have rental for 18 days We pray every day our truck will make it.

Piece of Junk
By Susan Isgrig on 10/07/08 11:40 AM (PDT)

I loved this truck when I bought it, but I would never buy another one or recommend it to anyone. The truck has been in the shop more than 12 times for the engine light. We tried to file lemon law, but since it's different parts replaced each time it doesn't qualify. Buyer beware. Chrysler does not stand behind their product. This truck has caused our business to lose a lot of money in one year as we haul horses as a job. We have been left on the road and unable to meet our customers request. I will never buy another dodge vehicle. It's my understanding that many people have the same issue. Wake up Dodge!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.