Used 2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 SLT Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 3500 model:

Don't buy this for Hauling!
By White Lightning

2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 Diesel SLT 4dr Quad Cab SB (6.7L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Our small company purchased this Dodge truck because we were told that it would have no problems hauling a trailer that weighed 20,000 pounds loaded. From the beginning we had problems with this truck. Within 600 miles the check engine light was on. The DPF didnt work right, the fuel filter had to be changed constatly or it would lose power. And finally, the bid one was the transmission. At about 70000 miles the transmission got so hot it burned the brake lines and caught on fire. So, the engine might be good for 500K miles and doing heavy work, but the rest of the truck is not! Think twice before buying one, or you will be very familiar with the waiting room at Dodge's mech shop!

My Dodge is a lemon
By Paul Stenhouse

Bought from Dave Smith (I think they're disorganized clowns) and had no troubles until I pulled one trailer (~5,000 lbs). Grinding noise in clutch. 5 star dealership replaced clutch assembly, but mis-installed some sensors, screwing up the DPF. 4 trips later, Chrysler finally took the time to fix it. Now, we are going through arbitration with Chrysler over the manual transmission in this vehicle, because it makes a horrible grinding noise (worse than any throw out bearing I've ever heard in my past 7 manual tranny vehicles). Chrysler won't fix it, told me I'm the first one to bring this problem up, but that it's normal (Chrysler's Star team). Chrsyler's service is second to all.

Long bed.

Stand by your products and honor your warranty obligations. Fix your substandard transmission and build a truck that's truly heavy-duty. Don't tell me that a heavy duty tranny has to have extra tolerance built in, which is why it's so noisy. Treat customers with the same eagerness after purchase.

lemon
By hawk

I have only had my 6.7 diesel for a week but it has been back to the shop 4 times having fuel problems the motor light stays on on the dash and it feels like some one turns the gas valve off going up steep grades for about 2 seconds and then turns it back on I am going to give them one more try to fix it then they are going to get the truck back because I am getting tired of all this so far the best mileage I have got was 12 mpg empty with no trailer but that may be because of the problem that I am having it hard to tell hope they fix it this time

is the best looking truck on the road

It needs to be refined if I was to buy again it would not be a Dodge with the 6.7 in it I would of bought a gmc if they were not so ugly

6.7 motor is Huge disappointment
By curt strickland

The whole idea behind having a diesel is that you get reasonable gas mileage while towing things. My old truck was a 1999 CTD 5.9 and I loved the motor. It towed things, got good gas mileage,"up to 23 mpg unloaded", it was very reliable, and I still got 16 while towing my boat or trailer. The 6.7 gets more like 15 mpg on average and drops to about 8-10 mpg when hauling things. What that means is that I cannot afford to drive this truck. I think that Dodge must have been associating a little too closely with the environmentalists. The old Cummins motor was an incredible piece of engineering, this new motor with it's clogged up exhaust and EGR junk is just a piece.

New 6 speed transmission is great.

Go back to the 2005 5.9 liter motor. The reason I gave it a "2" on fun to drive is that it is not fun to put gas in this truck at the rate that it consumes it.