Used 2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Dodge Ram-pickup-3500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 3500 model:

Why did I buy this???
By norfla71

2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 Diesel Laramie 4dr Mega Cab 4WD SB DRW (6.7L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Truck is a long bed automatic; 101,000 miles. Engine issues so far started with all the emissions garbage; 3 turbos, 2 injectors, MAF, FRV and Rail Pressure sensor, 3 low pressure fuel pumps, 2 valve bodies, seat motor, both headlight lenses delaminated. Repairs so far have cost about $3,000, just within the last 6 months. Poor fit and finish have also plagued this beast; wide door and hood gaps, door and dash rattles, fragile interior plastics, poor seat padding and more. The Miata of crew cabs; tiny rear cab area. This past year the truck has been down more than it has run; I don't see how anyone using this truck commercially, can make money. If you pull an RV, look elsewhere.

Favorite Features

Comparitively speaking, repairs are easier than the other HD brands; at least I can see the ground and block from the top of the engine bay. Parts are also relatively cheap, if you shop around (usually, big rig repair shop have OEM Cummins parts much cheaper than the dealer). And the engine is the only industrial design of the 3. Interior is simple and straight forward, and everything is easily removed for repair or replacement.

Suggested Improvements

Look to either a 4th gen or older Ford.

Dont buy one
By dodge3501

I thought I was getting a good deal. A mint full load truck with every option and low mileage for a reasonable price. I was wrong. I use it to pull a 30 foot trailer with kids and dogs. Then the drivers side tie rod breaks. wheels point in opposite directions. tie rod goes through inside sidewall of tire. Dodge will not pay for tire or towing. I will trade this truck for any other kind of truck and be better off. I learn from mistakes and will never buy a Dodge truck again.

Favorite Features

none

Suggested Improvements

Scrap dodge and put the cummings engine in a ford

So far I have no complaints
By woodinvilleguy

2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 Diesel ST 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (6.7L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Have had this truck for a month and so far have no complaints. Have put over 10,000 miles on it and am very happy with performance and the fuel mileage. If I stay between 65 to 75, I am getting 18 mpg and have gotten up 19.5 if I am cruising 60 to 65. On recent drive between Challlis, ID and Boise going over Lowman pass, elevation 5020 got 18.5

Laramie SWLBQC 4x4 68RFE
By norfla71

I bought this truck in June, with 32,000 miles, to pull a 32' toy hauler 5er'. The only major issue so far is the DPF clogged at about 40,000. This is the second HD I've owned; the other was an 04' 5.9 2X4 automatic. Stock, the 6.7 has much more grunt and this driveline is superior in all respects. All the complaints about emissions, fuel economy and injection systems are common across the big 3. Don't harp on Dodge-Cummins builds these engines and Uncle Sam demands clean tailpipes. As for fuel economy; with mandated ULSD I bet you won't get mid 20's out of the 5.9 anymore, either; in fact, I don't remember getting above 20 in my 04'. Don't buy into driving harder to kill C.E.L.-lazy dealer.

Favorite Features

Style: always loved the big rig style since the 94 redesign. Real truck features: Cummins, large coolers, big brakes, exhaust brake, big mirrors Towing capability: may not be the newest, or flashiest, kid on the block but feels most like a real truck compared to the others. Rock solid towing compared to my 2000 Super Duty. Steering is spot-on and responsive. Fuel economy: get the same mileage pulling my toy hauler (about 11,000#) as my Ford pulling a 6,000# 26' TT (9-10 @ 70 MPH) Suspension: awesome ride for a 1 ton 4x4. Interior: vast improvement over my 04. Fat steering wheel and audio controls. Voted most likely to last the longest out of the big 3: being more "old school" can be good!

Suggested Improvements

TRANS,TRANS,TRANS!!! Downshift WAAAAYYYY too hard when in tow/haul and exhaust brake engaged. I've had sodas come out of the cup holder when towing my RV. Take lessons from Ford-6R140 much better at this. Build quality: the new trucks seem to be much better, but mine has several panels that don't quite line up and a drivers door that is very "tinny" when you shut it. The steering wheel leather is miscolored at the top and damaged. Drivers side carpet missing large chunks beside seat. Radio quality marginal at best (Walmart grade Infinity speakers). UConnect has a mind of its own, not always allowing calls to be made or voice prompts to be understood, and can be rather frustrating to program.

Still running like a watch!
By Steve Watson

2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 Diesel SXT 4dr Mega Cab SB DRW (6.7L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

My last review was when my truck only had 3800 miles. I now have 40k on the odometer and nothing has changed, (with the exception of a repaired fender because of a hit and run at the Palm Beach Gardens Mall!). Truck still runs like a watch and I've pulled my 6x12 enclosed trailer with 3 full dressed HD's, my friends 30' Wellcraft and a broke down Suburban (with a loaded 6x12 UHaul trailer attached) without issue. This truck is a workhorse that has yet to give me one problem. I do admit I should have bought a 2500 (hint to Dodge if you have a left over 2010 you want to trade me into) but the Mega Cab rocks!

Favorite Features

Exterior looks and interior room.

Suggested Improvements

Same as my last review: Mileage!! I've also noted that for the same bucks Ford and Chevy offer more standard features. Dodge should address that.