Used 2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 3500 model:

Most Helpful|
2006 5.9L with Mileage Max
By Free2BE

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 SLT 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (5.9L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I have an 06 Dodge 2500 with automatic and tow package. Put on after market cold air induction and 5 inch cat back exhaust. Added the Edge Mileage Max and boom, mileage on overhead computer reads 27 to 28 mpg constantly. Figuring actual mpg (miles driven divided by amount of fuel) and I get 16.1 on the highway at 65 not towing. Have kept service up to date. Other than poor mileage anyone have an idea as to how I might get better mpg. I called Edge about it, they were about as helpful as a dead slug. Edge Mileage Max did increase power but took my mileage down from stock condition by about 5 mpg.As far as I am concerned Edge can jump off the bridge.

Favorite Features

Overall the truck is great. Plenty of power and strong as a horse. Over 47,000 miles with up keep service and I have not had a problem other than with my EDGE Mileage Max. This is my second one. First was a '71 which I traded in on the '06.

Suggested Improvements

Add a step to the side or rear so us short fellas can get up to the bed in a 4 wheel drive.

Ram This!
By brandonb

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 SLT 4dr Mega Cab SB (5.9L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I've had three Ford powerstrokes in a row (all 7.3L's) but I didnt' want to get a 6.0L after hearing all the troubles with them. I'm glad I made that decision. My Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Dually is awesome. Tremendous performance, pulls my horse trailer like a dream, smooth ride for a one ton, plenty of room, and so far great reliabilty. I'm not knocking the 7.3L ford's because I was very happy with each of those, but this Dodge is the real deal!!

Favorite Features

MegaCab roominess, outright power, great looks

Suggested Improvements

I love the 6 speed, but it doesnt' get great fuel mileage when running 70+ on the freeway. I think OD/6th gear should run lower RPM's so that fuel economy could improve.

My Nice RAM
By ChicoMike

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 SLT 4dr Quad Cab SB (5.9L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I have the 06 2500 Quad cab 4x4, 5 speed auto with 5.9 Cummins and love it. This is my second Dodge Cummins. I put an after market cold air intake on along with a 5 inch cat back exhaust and the EDGE Mileage max chip. At 65 MPH I am getting a WHOPPING 28 MPG highway and 19.1 city according to the overhead computer and also against actual mileage according to speedo. Dealership has no problem and says they actually recommend the Edge Mileage Max chip which does not affect the warranty. I wouldn't have any other set up as the increased mileage and HP is amazing. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Favorite Features

Overall strength of the engine & transmission set up. Just a super truck all around.

Suggested Improvements

Some kind of bumper strip along sides of truck to stop dings from other cars. The one included by factory is to low.

This is a truck
By sam

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 SLT 4dr Mega Cab SB (5.9L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

A daily driver and get an honest 22.5- 24 mpg unloaded. Pulling a 29 foot T/T I get 11-14. Not bad!

If only the build quality was better
By Ron

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 SLT 4dr Mega Cab SB (5.9L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I love this truck, but buy and extended warranty if possible. A few problems left a sour taste and I want out. At 80,000km (49,000 miles), new ball joints, pitman arm & univerals. It's a 3500 and the parts should match(they will all do it and at this mileage it is normal!). Wind noise from drivers door only (most do it). I have rust coming up near the bottom of the door. I live in area where they use very littl salt or sand (1 week out of the year). This is normal as well (84,000km) and it's due to a little bit of sand getting on the inside seal and rubbing the paint protection away. This is not normal in my opion and it's not covered under your warranty unless there is a hole.

Favorite Features

Engine is awesome.

Suggested Improvements

Better fit and finish. Use quality heavy duty parts on the 3500, why pay extra for same parts on a 1500!