Used 2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 Diesel

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 3500 model:

I LOVE this truck!
By ruzzeld

2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 Diesel 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (5.9L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

We have a small farm and use the truck for basic transportation, recreation, long trips and hauling loads. For a big powerful truck it has great fuel economy (18-19 mpg pulling over 18,000 lbs and regularly over 22mpg empty - the BEST I ever got was 28mpg on a long trip)! Great resale value. Relatively comfortable, good visibility, dependable. I've put over 140,000 miles with only normal maintenance, replacing the serpentine belt, batteries and at around 120k mi, upper and lower ball joints.

Favorite Features

Dependability, versatility, looks, power, economy - a one ton 4x4 that gets over 20mpg... why can't everybody make a truck like this?

Suggested Improvements

This is my 3rd Dodge diesel and they all needed front end work eventually. I've never heard of one of these that didn't need the front end rebuilt at around 80-120k miles.

Great Truck
By mike20

Vehicle amazes me everytime I drive it. Unreal power on towing hill terrain. The Cummins motor is living up to every expectation. Recommending this truck to everyone. Good towing mirrors.

Favorite Features

Power. Visablity out of cab. Tow haul function of transmission. Instead of no overdrive the computer will let it go into overdrive if it is not being overworked.

Suggested Improvements

Center console design of lid. Awkward to open. Better location of engine oil filter (ease of changing)

Dodge shortbed too short for fifth wheel
By Denny

Having driven this for 16,000 miles,towing a 15,500# fifth wheel trailer I hate it. 1. Distance from center of rear axle (center of hitch) to back of cab is 5- 6" shorter than a Chevy. The 6'3" bed coupled with the 140" wheel base places the nose of the fiver too close to the cab even with sliding hitch. I have damaged cab. 2. You can't put an exhaust brake on any Dodge AT older than a 2006 without extensive modifications or risk burning up the tranny and losing warranty coverage. Dodge fine print says this truck is only good for 10,000# without an ebrake. 3. Dodge does not come with rear inner fender tubs. You have to buy these at $100/set. 4. Headlights very poor.

Favorite Features

Interior layout and interior storage. Cummins Engine, Dodge toughness and 7year /70,000mi warranty.

Suggested Improvements

Better climate control where you can set a temp and it keeps it there, automatic daytime running lights, factory installed tranny temp gauge, better ventilation (cab gets stuffy), factory installed rear inner fender tubs, and a 6'6" short bed.

Great truck for the money
By Scott Smith

2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 Diesel 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (5.9L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I traded a '02 1500 QC 4x4 on this truck and have not regretted it yet. The power of the CTD engine is unmatched to any gas engine on the market or any other diesel as far as I'm concerned. I just rolled 10K on the odometer and can't wait until this engine is broken in. Fuel economy to date is better than my gasser ever was.

Favorite Features

CTD power and fuel economy Exterior looks and interior features

Suggested Improvements

Additional gauges - trans temp, EGT and boost.

Great Truck
By Norm Jacobsen

So far with about 11,000 miles, no problems, rides good, handles well. I tow a 15,000 pound 38 foot RV back and forth from New York to Florida with no problems. More than enough power and the automatic transmission works well. For a 1 ton truck it rides well, my back doen't bother me on my trips. I tried out a Ford, but the Cummings is far superior.

Favorite Features

Cummings diesel, ride and handling, power seat. Good warranty

Suggested Improvements

Better view over hood, EGT, transmission and engine oil temp gauges, dash vent reflection in windshield should be eliminated.