2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 3500 model:
I LOVE this truck!
By ruzzeld on 01/18/13 09:30 AM (PST)

2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 Diesel 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (5.9L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

We have a small farm and use the truck for basic transportation, recreation, long trips and hauling loads. For a big powerful truck it has great fuel economy (18-19 mpg pulling over 18,000 lbs and regularly over 22mpg empty - the BEST I ever got was 28mpg on a long trip)! Great resale value. Relatively comfortable, good visibility, dependable. I've put over 140,000 miles with only normal maintenance, replacing the serpentine belt, batteries and at around 120k mi, upper and lower ball joints.

Great Truck
By mike20 on 08/03/06 11:11 AM (PDT)

Vehicle amazes me everytime I drive it. Unreal power on towing hill terrain. The Cummins motor is living up to every expectation. Recommending this truck to everyone. Good towing mirrors.

Dodge shortbed too short for fifth wheel
By Denny on 05/05/06 12:33 PM (PDT)

Having driven this for 16,000 miles,towing a 15,500# fifth wheel trailer I hate it. 1. Distance from center of rear axle (center of hitch) to back of cab is 5- 6" shorter than a Chevy. The 6'3" bed coupled with the 140" wheel base places the nose of the fiver too close to the cab even with sliding hitch. I have damaged cab. 2. You can't put an exhaust brake on any Dodge AT older than a 2006 without extensive modifications or risk burning up the tranny and losing warranty coverage. Dodge fine print says this truck is only good for 10,000# without an ebrake. 3. Dodge does not come with rear inner fender tubs. You have to buy these at $100/set. 4. Headlights very poor.

Great truck for the money
By Scott Smith on 01/16/06 08:05 AM (PST)

2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 Diesel 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (5.9L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I traded a '02 1500 QC 4x4 on this truck and have not regretted it yet. The power of the CTD engine is unmatched to any gas engine on the market or any other diesel as far as I'm concerned. I just rolled 10K on the odometer and can't wait until this engine is broken in. Fuel economy to date is better than my gasser ever was.

Great Truck
By Norm Jacobsen on 12/04/05 18:07 PM (PST)

So far with about 11,000 miles, no problems, rides good, handles well. I tow a 15,000 pound 38 foot RV back and forth from New York to Florida with no problems. More than enough power and the automatic transmission works well. For a 1 ton truck it rides well, my back doen't bother me on my trips. I tried out a Ford, but the Cummings is far superior.

Bad Paint Real Bad ride w/ Trailers
By Dale Brooks on 11/26/05 10:55 AM (PST)

2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 Diesel 4dr Quad Cab ST 4WD SB (5.9L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

After receiving my black Dodge the clear coat would not protect the paint even w/ extra care . Bought this for hauling goose neck trailers. What I got was a truck equiped with a roller coaster past life that reminds you at 35 empty and 55 loaded that it is not designed for pulling trailers. The 4x4 dully long bed has a drive line alignement problem that can not be fixed. 7,000 miles on a $43,000 trk and its the worst ever.

Awesome
By milan on 09/26/05 14:25 PM (PDT)

What can i say? Best drive train (with the standard) and the best deisel engine available in a light duty truck - people are getting over a million km with them. I love the manual transfer case and solid axles.

One Great Truck!
By John Keeney on 06/12/05 00:00 AM (PDT)

This is the third Dodge 3500 I have owned- and I still have them all! Two 4X4's and the new 4X2. This is still a workhorse, but very quiet. Still the strong pull that we all expect. I would not hesitate to recommend this to all!

My Baby Girl
By Bear on 06/06/05 12:29 PM (PDT)

Best diesel on the market. I have not had any problems at all and it drives wonderfully. I have put nearly 30,000 miles on it and it is just starting to break in. Mine is single wheel rear end so it goes places that the duals cannot. Great Truck!!!

Quad Cab 4dr Diesel Auto LB 2wd SRW
By Lane Dreher on 02/07/05 23:00 PM (PST)

This 3500 series truck has the 325hp 600#torque diesel engine. It tows my 32'5th wheel with ease. Wife likes the power adjustable pedals and power adjust both front seats. It gets better mpg than my 2000 diesel did. More rear seat leg room is nice as is the quieter diesel engine.