2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 3500 model:
I LOVE this truck!
By ruzzeld on 01/18/13 09:30 AM (PST)

2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (5.9L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

We have a small farm and use the truck for basic transportation, recreation, long trips and hauling loads. For a big powerful truck it has great fuel economy (18-19 mpg pulling over 18,000 lbs and regularly over 22mpg empty - the BEST I ever got was 28mpg on a long trip)! Great resale value. Relatively comfortable, good visibility, dependable. I've put over 140,000 miles with only normal maintenance, replacing the serpentine belt, batteries and at around 120k mi, upper and lower ball joints.

Accidently try to kill by fueling with g
By Art Phelan on 04/14/10 03:30 AM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD LB DRW (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

I was dead tired and thought I was filling up with diesel but mistakenly filled with 34 gallons of unleaded and drove south up the Ashley grade on I 5 and when I passed the top it shut off not sure why it didn't blow up . That happened at only 59,000 miles now it has 105,000 and still runs perfect. I just LOVE this dang truck its awesome...

Lovin' it!!
By LOVIN' IT! on 08/15/08 11:34 AM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD LB DRW (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

I love this truck. It's my second cummins with a stick. I regularly pull a 20,000 lbs. gooseneck trailer. This thing is stock and I just put it in the top slot (6th gear) and it'll go up any hill in Iowa, Missouri, Minnesota and Wisconsin. The best part is it still gets like 16.5 mpg! I can get 24.7mpg empty! Beat that Ford or Chevy! The leather is awesome, everything in the cab is roomy and accessible. Definite best buy, I'd recommend to anyone. The duals really don't hinder off-road ability as long as you have some All Terrain tires. I can go through just as much as any of my huntin' buddies with it. The limited slip rear end helps. I am a diesel mechanic and love how easy it's to work on.

Nice truck, after initial quality issues
By 451Mopar on 06/24/08 20:14 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD LB DRW (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

I really like the truck, but it had some initial build quality problems. I recommend a 2006 model, they had the problems fixed. Initially truck had 70 MPH vibration problem, then the plastic ended intercooler blow out, and the drivers side door seal became torn. All problems were fixed by dealer under warranty with updated parts. Over 50,000 miles and still runs great, and gets decent mileage.

Great Truck
By mike20 on 08/03/06 11:11 AM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (5.9L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Vehicle amazes me everytime I drive it. Unreal power on towing hill terrain. The Cummins motor is living up to every expectation. Recommending this truck to everyone. Good towing mirrors.

Farmer
By farmer on 05/06/06 04:39 AM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd LB DRW (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

Handles like a car, even though it is a crew cab longbed. Very quiet and with the 325 hp it has sportcar power.

Dodge shortbed too short for fifth wheel
By Denny on 05/05/06 12:33 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (5.9L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Having driven this for 16,000 miles,towing a 15,500# fifth wheel trailer I hate it. 1. Distance from center of rear axle (center of hitch) to back of cab is 5- 6" shorter than a Chevy. The 6'3" bed coupled with the 140" wheel base places the nose of the fiver too close to the cab even with sliding hitch. I have damaged cab. 2. You can't put an exhaust brake on any Dodge AT older than a 2006 without extensive modifications or risk burning up the tranny and losing warranty coverage. Dodge fine print says this truck is only good for 10,000# without an ebrake. 3. Dodge does not come with rear inner fender tubs. You have to buy these at $100/set. 4. Headlights very poor.

Best Truck Ever
By Dodge Lover on 03/20/06 22:29 PM (PST)

2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd LB DRW (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

This is by far the best truck I have ever owned. I deliver RV's all over the country and drive about 180,000 miles a year. I have owned this truck for less than a year and have had no problems with it. I keep up with the regular scheduled maintenance for the truck and it keeps me running. On average while driving empty at 70 mph. I get 23 mpg. and loaded I can average 14 mpg. The only other truck that I have found that can compete with this is the Chevy Duramax. They also get good fuel mileage but is seriously lacking in torque.

Great truck for the money
By Scott Smith on 01/16/06 08:05 AM (PST)

2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (5.9L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I traded a '02 1500 QC 4x4 on this truck and have not regretted it yet. The power of the CTD engine is unmatched to any gas engine on the market or any other diesel as far as I'm concerned. I just rolled 10K on the odometer and can't wait until this engine is broken in. Fuel economy to date is better than my gasser ever was.

Great Truck
By Norm Jacobsen on 12/04/05 18:07 PM (PST)

2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (5.9L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

So far with about 11,000 miles, no problems, rides good, handles well. I tow a 15,000 pound 38 foot RV back and forth from New York to Florida with no problems. More than enough power and the automatic transmission works well. For a 1 ton truck it rides well, my back doen't bother me on my trips. I tried out a Ford, but the Cummings is far superior.