Used 2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 3500 model:

I LOVE this truck!
By ruzzeld

2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (5.9L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

We have a small farm and use the truck for basic transportation, recreation, long trips and hauling loads. For a big powerful truck it has great fuel economy (18-19 mpg pulling over 18,000 lbs and regularly over 22mpg empty - the BEST I ever got was 28mpg on a long trip)! Great resale value. Relatively comfortable, good visibility, dependable. I've put over 140,000 miles with only normal maintenance, replacing the serpentine belt, batteries and at around 120k mi, upper and lower ball joints.

Dependability, versatility, looks, power, economy - a one ton 4x4 that gets over 20mpg... why can't everybody make a truck like this?

This is my 3rd Dodge diesel and they all needed front end work eventually. I've never heard of one of these that didn't need the front end rebuilt at around 80-120k miles.

Accidently try to kill by fueling with g
By Art Phelan

2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD LB DRW (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

I was dead tired and thought I was filling up with diesel but mistakenly filled with 34 gallons of unleaded and drove south up the Ashley grade on I 5 and when I passed the top it shut off not sure why it didn't blow up . That happened at only 59,000 miles now it has 105,000 and still runs perfect. I just LOVE this dang truck its awesome...

Cummins

Price could come down a little

Lovin' it!!
By LOVIN' IT!

2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD LB DRW (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

I love this truck. It's my second cummins with a stick. I regularly pull a 20,000 lbs. gooseneck trailer. This thing is stock and I just put it in the top slot (6th gear) and it'll go up any hill in Iowa, Missouri, Minnesota and Wisconsin. The best part is it still gets like 16.5 mpg! I can get 24.7mpg empty! Beat that Ford or Chevy! The leather is awesome, everything in the cab is roomy and accessible. Definite best buy, I'd recommend to anyone. The duals really don't hinder off-road ability as long as you have some All Terrain tires. I can go through just as much as any of my huntin' buddies with it. The limited slip rear end helps. I am a diesel mechanic and love how easy it's to work on.

All of 'em!

stock EGT and Boost gauges

Nice truck, after initial quality issues
By 451Mopar

2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD LB DRW (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

I really like the truck, but it had some initial build quality problems. I recommend a 2006 model, they had the problems fixed. Initially truck had 70 MPH vibration problem, then the plastic ended intercooler blow out, and the drivers side door seal became torn. All problems were fixed by dealer under warranty with updated parts. Over 50,000 miles and still runs great, and gets decent mileage.

Cummins engine! Also the heated seats, and storage bins under front and rear seats.

A better automatic transmission, or at least a tighter torque converter.

Great Truck
By mike20

2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (5.9L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Vehicle amazes me everytime I drive it. Unreal power on towing hill terrain. The Cummins motor is living up to every expectation. Recommending this truck to everyone. Good towing mirrors.

Power. Visablity out of cab. Tow haul function of transmission. Instead of no overdrive the computer will let it go into overdrive if it is not being overworked.

Center console design of lid. Awkward to open. Better location of engine oil filter (ease of changing)