2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 Quad Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 3500 model:
Interior could use some work
By Terry on 09/19/09 19:15 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD LB DRW (5.7L 8cyl 5M)

My previous truck was an 07 Chevy Avalanche Z71 so the bar for comfort and nice ride has been set to a level that not many trucks will achieve. On the other hand, comparing the ride of a 1 ton work truck to a 1/2 ton luxury truck isn't exactly fair. The Dodge does a good job but does fall short in interior comfort. The dashboard controls aren't laid out with ease of use in mind. The gauge cluster is small and crowded and the steering wheel is so small it looks like they took it out of a small sedan.

best truck ive owned
By greg on 07/24/09 19:01 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab Laramie 4WD LB DRW (5.7L 8cyl 5M)

I have had ford, chevy, dodge, and toyota and this is by far and away the best i have had! I have 128,000 miles on my 2004 and have done basically nothing to it (brakes and universal joints) thats it. Reliable as it gets, whether its -30 degrees or 110 the truck will always start the first crank. Great towing capacity and stability. handles like a car and rides good (with a load in the bed). The 4x4 is the most aggressive i have had. I bought a ford f-450 to replace this truck because i need a utility body and i do not like the ford at all! The dodge is superior in every way except for cabin room. Needless to say i am selling the ford and buying a dodge 4500 utility!!

Best Truck, Ever
By Mark on 03/17/08 11:46 AM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd LB DRW (5.7L 8cyl 5M)

Having put over 40K on my truck in the last year, I still love it. The 5.9L HO CTD is the strongest engine I have ever owned. Pulls a 14K lb fifth wheel like a dream. The interior is functional and comfortable. At 70K miles, I had to replace all four shocks and had to have the driveshaft joints replaced. Also, had to replace the roof marker lights as they cracked and leaked rain water into the cab. Small problems aside, I will never own another brand of truck as long as Dodge stays with Cummins!

Nice truck.....but
By Adrien on 02/14/08 11:43 AM (PST)

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD LB DRW (5.7L 8cyl 5M)

Overall, not a bad truck, but not the greatest. It's got tons of power, and has really good fuel mileage at the same time(22 mpg). The interior is ok, except for that cheap plastic look. Its a rough ride though, but its a one tonne. The odd sized tires are bad too, go for 16's again. Also, the body paneling is very thin, you look at it, its dented. I want to get a new truck because the 2004 and 2005 Rams were the worst when it comes to reliability, proved that one with this truck. It will probably be a new 2008 Dodge Ram 4500 or a GMC 3500. I hear those trucks aren't too bad.

3 Years and 57,000 miles later...
By Go_Vols on 03/14/07 13:44 PM (PDT)

I've really enjoyed this truck. I tow large deck goosenecks around town and the country and this engine/tranny/truck combo has been everything I wanted. It's a bit of a pain in town, but that's what you get with a DRW hauler. Only one issue presented itself since purchase, an A/C compressor leak at 36,000 miles. Factory repaired under warranty -- and living in Houston we're pretty hard on A/C units! Tires and maintenance costs are expensive on these rigs, but they pay you back with reliable operation and endless power. The Laramie interior is quite nice, and a relatively inexpensive addition of a JL Audio subwoofer stealth box makes the Infinity sound system sing for those long hauls!

Good Family Truckster
By crash on 02/03/06 16:31 PM (PST)

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD LB DRW (5.7L 8cyl 5M)

CD player doesn't eject, back up lights don't work, and grab handle broke with 175 lb person lifting themselves in, but the power of the Cummins HO is good, the interior noise level is excellent for a diesel, and the mileage is good. The rear seats are cramped for full size adults, but fine for kids. The six speed manual is a little bit of a pain around town, but when towing it is really nice to know what gear you are in and when you will be shifting. The factory tires only have roughly 10-15,000 miles left on them and I only have 20,000 miles on the truck. Rotate every 5k miles, but they just seem to be cheap tires. So far moderately happy with truck. Paint is a little soft. Scratches easily

Best truck ever owned
By n8 on 11/17/05 19:56 PM (PST)

I have owned all (top three) full size trucks and this one by far is superior in all aspects. I could not believe my computer when it was registering 25-27 mpg especially the 3500 diesel. But when manually calculating the mileage I actually made it to 26-28mpg.!!! Then running BioDiesel it definitely improved performance and mpg. Thanks DODGE!

3500 Dualie
By pbrowe on 03/30/05 15:23 PM (PST)

I really like driving this truck! Seems odd, but it is very well equiped and it looks great on the road. The Cummins HO motor is so easy to work with and it can pull your house down, as well as anything else you may need to tow. It tirelessly cruises the highway with a heavy load and never feels over-worked. This truck gives you confidence!

Great Truck!
By LarryT on 06/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

This is the second Dodge Truck I've owned, the first was a 2001 3500 model. The 2001 was a good truck, reliable, etc., but was designed more like a "work truck". The 2004 is a lot different! It's the Laramie package, and it's totally tricked out. We did add chrome headache rack, wheel well covers, and cattle guard, but the interior is really luxurious with the leather and suede seats, power everything, etc. The sound system is very good, much nicer than the 2001. And performance on top of all this! We pull a 32 ft stock trailer, and the Dodge pulls it easily, and looks good doing it. So far, this has been a great truck.

Cool Pickup Truck
By Matthew Schwabe on 02/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

This truck is Awsome. That huge HEMI engine packs a powerful engine doesn't have the best fuel economy but has an incredible preformance and power. I love driving it everywhere. It has a smooth ride and really nice suspention.