Used 2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 3500 model:

Best of the best
By bugsey829

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (5.9L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Had my 04 for 3.5 years now. Have had to replace 3 lights (1-fog, 1 headlight and 1 brake light) and the lift pump. Replaced my Michelins with Bridgestones and am still "paying" for them. Cost me almost 5 mpg. Still get 22+ , but the 28 @ 62 mph was pretty sweet. She loves 75 and 80 , but you better have deep pockets , 17 mpg empty 10.5 pulling fully enclosd car trailer. Bought it when I retired hoping it would easily outlast me. So far so good .

Favorite Features

Raw power, rides like a "caddy" loaded.

Suggested Improvements

Needs much "taller" final drive for us highway dwellers. Gear it for 1650 rpm @ 75 mph.

Interior could use some work
By Terry

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD LB DRW (5.7L 8cyl 5M)

My previous truck was an 07 Chevy Avalanche Z71 so the bar for comfort and nice ride has been set to a level that not many trucks will achieve. On the other hand, comparing the ride of a 1 ton work truck to a 1/2 ton luxury truck isn't exactly fair. The Dodge does a good job but does fall short in interior comfort. The dashboard controls aren't laid out with ease of use in mind. The gauge cluster is small and crowded and the steering wheel is so small it looks like they took it out of a small sedan.

Favorite Features

Exterior design is very nice. Center console storage is very roomy. Nice storage compartments under rear seats.

Suggested Improvements

Allow more space for gauges and add pyrometer and other needed diesel gauges. Improve interior layout.

best truck ive owned
By greg

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 4dr Quad Cab Laramie 4WD LB DRW (5.7L 8cyl 5M)

I have had ford, chevy, dodge, and toyota and this is by far and away the best i have had! I have 128,000 miles on my 2004 and have done basically nothing to it (brakes and universal joints) thats it. Reliable as it gets, whether its -30 degrees or 110 the truck will always start the first crank. Great towing capacity and stability. handles like a car and rides good (with a load in the bed). The 4x4 is the most aggressive i have had. I bought a ford f-450 to replace this truck because i need a utility body and i do not like the ford at all! The dodge is superior in every way except for cabin room. Needless to say i am selling the ford and buying a dodge 4500 utility!!

Favorite Features

power, reliability, looks, comfort, towing capacity

Suggested Improvements

find a way to better the stiff ride and make the cab just a bit larger but not as big as the mega cab.

Best Truck, Ever
By Mark

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd LB DRW (5.7L 8cyl 5M)

Having put over 40K on my truck in the last year, I still love it. The 5.9L HO CTD is the strongest engine I have ever owned. Pulls a 14K lb fifth wheel like a dream. The interior is functional and comfortable. At 70K miles, I had to replace all four shocks and had to have the driveshaft joints replaced. Also, had to replace the roof marker lights as they cracked and leaked rain water into the cab. Small problems aside, I will never own another brand of truck as long as Dodge stays with Cummins!

Favorite Features

Great looks. I get compliments all the time. Unstoppable engine. Average of 18 - 20 MPG unladen. Average of 15 - 17 MPG laden (7 tons) Plush interior seats have super thick cushions, great for long hauls.

Suggested Improvements

Better quality shocks. Comes with twin tube shocks, but monotube would be better. According to local mechanic, most owners have found the stock shocks to be unsatisfactory for towing & heavy loads. Since that is why one buys a 1 ton truck, come on Dodge!

Nice truck.....but
By Adrien

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD LB DRW (5.7L 8cyl 5M)

Overall, not a bad truck, but not the greatest. It's got tons of power, and has really good fuel mileage at the same time(22 mpg). The interior is ok, except for that cheap plastic look. Its a rough ride though, but its a one tonne. The odd sized tires are bad too, go for 16's again. Also, the body paneling is very thin, you look at it, its dented. I want to get a new truck because the 2004 and 2005 Rams were the worst when it comes to reliability, proved that one with this truck. It will probably be a new 2008 Dodge Ram 4500 or a GMC 3500. I hear those trucks aren't too bad.

Favorite Features

The Cummins, what do you expect? Its a really good motor, but the truck itself is garbage for 2004 and 2005.

Suggested Improvements

This isn't the most reliable truck. It put us on the side of the road three times. The fuel pump went, the universal joint and its starting to go again, and the injector lines split. The rear door locks dont work and rear driver side window too. This is a wiring harness problem Dodge is famous for.