2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 3500 model:
real 5.7 gas 2003 3500 slt 4by4 dually quad cab hemi
By john620 on 11/30/12 16:04 PM (PST)

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 Diesel 4dr Quad Cab ST 4WD SB (5.9L 6cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

dodge 2003 hemi 3500 came with a 4-45rfe transmission this transmission is in aspens mini vans 1500 and other cars and does not hold together in a 1ton truck.At 51 thou miles the 1st transmission failed the 2nd failed at 115 thou miles both with no more than heavy half ton loads only.The hemi motor has been very good so far great power smoth I can not say one bad thing about my 5.7 motor hemi I had some brake issues but nothing over the top they stop very well. the ride for a 1ton truck is good.The rear end of this truck has 373 or 410 gears but on mine has not been tested with heavy loads.the inside on slt is basic but good.dodge stopped this combo after 2003 in the 3500 hd I cant recommend

Has Turned Into A Major Disappointment
By Diesel Dawg on 11/25/09 23:44 PM (PST)

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 Diesel 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (5.9L 6cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I have the SRW, 5.9L HO Diesel. Drives well, tows all day long. 10k pounds and I barely know it's back there. Interior well thought out. Headlights weak, had to add PIAA's to see at night on rural interstates. Minor electrical problems from day 1. Came with throttle sensor problem that caused uncontrolled acceleration. 6 months ago I was happy with this truck. Unfortunately it's turned in to a hangar queen: U-joints, front hubs, master brake cylinder, #6 injector and three injector tubes all went bad between 100k and 111k miles. Hubs and injector problems at 100k miles are inexcusable on a truck like this. Dodge won't help. $8k later I'm good as new, but will never buy another Dodge...ever!!

356000 miles
By emory dwayne grant on 09/09/09 18:54 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 Diesel 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (5.9L 6cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I have 356,000 miles. Pulled a trailer mostly about6000 lbs. A little over 100,000 miles injector pump went out and throttle positioning sensor. I have forgiven those breakdowns though because I have 360,000 miles with normal maintenance. Hope to get 500,000 miles. I have owned fords & Chevrolet trucks. I like the Dodge best. Good fuel mileage also.

Power to Pull
By FireMedic on 04/26/08 16:10 PM (PDT)

I purchased this vehicle used from a dealer. The vehicle was used by a local farmer to pull cattle. I replaced an 2006 F-250 5.4L - I was passed on the interstate by an 80,000 lbs semi. I was pulling a 12,000 lbs 5th-wheel camper. With this RAM, there was no trouble passing anything on any grade of hill in any of my travels. The power and confidence are there to pull or climb any hill. On the same hill the F-250 did 25 mph - RAM was doing 70 !!!

3500 Diesel Ram
By Joshua on 04/27/07 19:53 PM (PDT)

This has been a great truck. I have 87,000 miles so far. I am averaging 23.1 mpg, but drive conservatively. Very strong frame and heavy truck. Loving it.

Not very happy
By n/a on 01/31/07 09:37 AM (PST)

I have had this since 3000 miles. Now at 70,000 miles i am thinking of trading it in. I've needed a water pump ,power steering pump, tranny lines, flip down visor, and now rust is forming on the inner wheel well on passangers side. Total repairs must be about $2,000.00 so far. Some were covered under warranty thank God. I am only getting about 13.5 mpg. and to me the truck unloaded going up a hill at about 70 loses power not very impressive. Wind noise comes in from drivers side door. I will give the truck this it has not left me on the side of the road "yet"? I drive this truck as a car. I haul a trailer(about 5000lbs ) maybe 10 times a year if I am lucky everything else is hwy. Not very happy

Work horse
By Diesel Turbo on 01/05/07 04:48 AM (PST)

Went exellent until 108,000 miles. Trip from NC to UT after a recall for transmission . I think they calibrated wrong. The whole truck is shaking when I pull up. Have to stop traveling and go to Dodge dealer . I never trusted the transmission , and I change the transmission oil every 30,000 miles. Excellent truck, but now I am not happy.

Real World
By Sir Al on 11/29/06 07:24 AM (PST)

Driven 95,000 miles with only $300 in repairs (nic oil changes, maintenance,etc) This is the most reliable truck I have ever purchased. Previous non Dodge trucks were in rebuilt stage with this amount of mileage. I have done better than 22 mpg cruise control set with no heavy loads. Towing 10K GVW 5th wheel trailer have enough power in diesel engine that I have never felt like I needed more power, and I drive the Rocky Mountains.

First diesel
By Utahguy on 06/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

Mine has the HO 305/555 motor, and the 6 speed manual transmission. I bought it to tow a car hauler with a Jeep on it (around 6000 pounds). Towing is a dream, just put it in 6th gear and set the cruise control. Steep hills are not a problem, the engine has tons of power. My drivers side door had excessive wind noise and had to be adjusted, but other than that it has been problem free.

First-time Dodge Ram Owner
By edritchie on 05/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

I have previously owned 1/2 and 3/4 ton Ford and GMC pickups, two Yukons and a full size Bronko. This is the first time I have considered a one ton as the ride and creature comforts are so good in this unit along with expected higher second-hand values and unsurpassed trailer-pulling capacity.