Used 2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 3500 model:

Most Helpful|
real 5.7 gas 2003 3500 slt 4by4 dually quad cab hemi
By john620

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 4dr Quad Cab ST 4WD SB (5.9L 6cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

dodge 2003 hemi 3500 came with a 4-45rfe transmission this transmission is in aspens mini vans 1500 and other cars and does not hold together in a 1ton truck.At 51 thou miles the 1st transmission failed the 2nd failed at 115 thou miles both with no more than heavy half ton loads only.The hemi motor has been very good so far great power smoth I can not say one bad thing about my 5.7 motor hemi I had some brake issues but nothing over the top they stop very well. the ride for a 1ton truck is good.The rear end of this truck has 373 or 410 gears but on mine has not been tested with heavy loads.the inside on slt is basic but good.dodge stopped this combo after 2003 in the 3500 hd I cant recommend

Favorite Features

motor and air and heat

Suggested Improvements

transmission transmission and again put a truck transmission worthy of a 1ton truck this combo the 2003 3500hd with the 5.7 with an atuo transmission is like having a big big farm work horse with legs of a goat the horse (truck) wants to go to work but its legs (transmission) cant support near the loads it should.

Not very happy
By n/a

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 4dr Quad Cab ST 4WD SB (5.9L 6cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I have had this since 3000 miles. Now at 70,000 miles i am thinking of trading it in. I've needed a water pump ,power steering pump, tranny lines, flip down visor, and now rust is forming on the inner wheel well on passangers side. Total repairs must be about $2,000.00 so far. Some were covered under warranty thank God. I am only getting about 13.5 mpg. and to me the truck unloaded going up a hill at about 70 loses power not very impressive. Wind noise comes in from drivers side door. I will give the truck this it has not left me on the side of the road "yet"? I drive this truck as a car. I haul a trailer(about 5000lbs ) maybe 10 times a year if I am lucky everything else is hwy. Not very happy

Favorite Features

4 wheel drive and exterior style

Suggested Improvements

MPG .More comfortable ride. Build something with less problems

Friday 4:30 build?
By JDinOhio

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD LB DRW (5.7L 8cyl 5M)

Now has 96k. Axle housing welded to differential housing crooked from fact. repl.10k(American Axle)-Injecters were all repl.30-50k.(Bosch)- Turbo 50k (Poss. oil line pinch during inject. work)- Power steering failure 44K. -Tailgate rust 4yrs. That said still love it truck. 4.10s too low for daily driver unless pulling daily. No competition in class 3 trucks, this truck is like a small semi. Cummins straight 6/6-speed is the only way to go, just like the big trucks. Have had p-strokes, V-8s are for cars, you have to really run them to achieve the same performance as the I6. From other reviews, problems seem rare, mine were largely component mfgs. These will be regarded as the last good ones.

Favorite Features

Cummins I6. 6-speed manual. Manual 4x4. Avg 17mpg unloaded everyday, 12 mpg with biggest lance camper and 16ft trailer. I feel like the overall package has not degraded in quality. Sadly, I live south of Cleveland, OH and this truck will assuredly die of salt cancer. Sad since it has another 250k min left

Suggested Improvements

Manual lock-out. More steering feedback. Need normal crew cab not short one and mega(stupid looking). Auxillary trans. or 2-speed rear-end is really necessary for a grocery getter/ 23000 gcwr otr hauler. Stainless exaust (rust through at 65k)

Work horse
By Diesel Turbo

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (5.9L 6cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Went exellent until 108,000 miles. Trip from NC to UT after a recall for transmission . I think they calibrated wrong. The whole truck is shaking when I pull up. Have to stop traveling and go to Dodge dealer . I never trusted the transmission , and I change the transmission oil every 30,000 miles. Excellent truck, but now I am not happy.

Suggested Improvements

Dodge, do something on your transmission. I hear too much trouble over transmission in an early stage and I mean 70 to 90000 miles. My Chevy 3500 lasted 235,000 miles and was still in good shape .

Has Turned Into A Major Disappointment
By Diesel Dawg

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (5.9L 6cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I have the SRW, 5.9L HO Diesel. Drives well, tows all day long. 10k pounds and I barely know it's back there. Interior well thought out. Headlights weak, had to add PIAA's to see at night on rural interstates. Minor electrical problems from day 1. Came with throttle sensor problem that caused uncontrolled acceleration. 6 months ago I was happy with this truck. Unfortunately it's turned in to a hangar queen: U-joints, front hubs, master brake cylinder, #6 injector and three injector tubes all went bad between 100k and 111k miles. Hubs and injector problems at 100k miles are inexcusable on a truck like this. Dodge won't help. $8k later I'm good as new, but will never buy another Dodge...ever!!

Favorite Features

Lots of power, lots of torque. 22-23 MPG on rural country roads at 65 MPH. Handling is crisp for vehicle this size. Ride is stiff, but not too band. Interior is comfortable, well thought out. Flip up rear seat is nifty. It was clearly superior to a F-350 of same vintage

Suggested Improvements

Chrysler: Make your product more reliable. This truck has chronic electrical problems, the front hubs and #6 injector went out around 100k miles (inexcusable), the cab clearance lights leak in heavy rain, the driver's door leaks in heavy rain with crosswind. Stock headlights worthless.