2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 3500 model:
real 5.7 gas 2003 3500 slt 4by4 dually quad cab hemi
By john620 on 11/30/12 16:04 PM (PST)

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 4dr Quad Cab ST 4WD SB (5.9L 6cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

dodge 2003 hemi 3500 came with a 4-45rfe transmission this transmission is in aspens mini vans 1500 and other cars and does not hold together in a 1ton truck.At 51 thou miles the 1st transmission failed the 2nd failed at 115 thou miles both with no more than heavy half ton loads only.The hemi motor has been very good so far great power smoth I can not say one bad thing about my 5.7 motor hemi I had some brake issues but nothing over the top they stop very well. the ride for a 1ton truck is good.The rear end of this truck has 373 or 410 gears but on mine has not been tested with heavy loads.the inside on slt is basic but good.dodge stopped this combo after 2003 in the 3500 hd I cant recommend

03 Dodge 270,000 miles trouble free
By Jim Patterson on 05/09/10 21:58 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD LB DRW (5.7L 8cyl 5M)

I ordered my Ram 3500 HO CTD Laramie fully loaded. I drive this every day and the truck now has 270,000 miles on it. Had no problems, rebuilt trans at 219,000 for 1st time, ATS Torque conv. Billet shafts, truck has been modified since 140,000 miles, Diesel Dyno 50 HP injectors, exhaust, bully dog downloader, intake work, larger turbo. Truck is very fast and is not always driven easy. Engine has never been touched outside of injectors, water pump, new trans, larger driveshafts, Ball Joints 1st at 140K, and again this time with Core Products. Paint is good, leather seats still good, most of my friend can believe it looks so good with all these miles on it.

Has Turned Into A Major Disappointment
By Diesel Dawg on 11/25/09 23:44 PM (PST)

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (5.9L 6cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I have the SRW, 5.9L HO Diesel. Drives well, tows all day long. 10k pounds and I barely know it's back there. Interior well thought out. Headlights weak, had to add PIAA's to see at night on rural interstates. Minor electrical problems from day 1. Came with throttle sensor problem that caused uncontrolled acceleration. 6 months ago I was happy with this truck. Unfortunately it's turned in to a hangar queen: U-joints, front hubs, master brake cylinder, #6 injector and three injector tubes all went bad between 100k and 111k miles. Hubs and injector problems at 100k miles are inexcusable on a truck like this. Dodge won't help. $8k later I'm good as new, but will never buy another Dodge...ever!!

love it
By sean on 11/14/09 08:50 AM (PST)

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 4dr Quad Cab ST 4WD LB DRW (5.7L 8cyl 5M)

I got mine with 10,000 on it. I have drove the crap out of it but I dont abuse it. i have over 120,000 and it starts every day never no major problems I even have the auto. I have done the oil change every 5000 miles, and regular maintence. It does need ball joints in front end and I replaceed all the ujoints this year thats about it. The driver window lock switch broke. thats about all. I am happy with mine

356000 miles
By emory dwayne grant on 09/09/09 18:54 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (5.9L 6cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I have 356,000 miles. Pulled a trailer mostly about6000 lbs. A little over 100,000 miles injector pump went out and throttle positioning sensor. I have forgiven those breakdowns though because I have 360,000 miles with normal maintenance. Hope to get 500,000 miles. I have owned fords & Chevrolet trucks. I like the Dodge best. Good fuel mileage also.

Dodge V10 Ram 3500 Dually
By Robert on 02/10/09 08:33 AM (PST)

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd LB DRW (5.7L 8cyl 5M)

Best truck ever, strong fast and cool. This truck is fun to trick out and has a great ride plus feels like a tank. The 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 is the coolest best and most fun truck on the road and continues to be.

Friday 4:30 build?
By JDinOhio on 12/11/08 21:38 PM (PST)

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD LB DRW (5.7L 8cyl 5M)

Now has 96k. Axle housing welded to differential housing crooked from fact. repl.10k(American Axle)-Injecters were all repl.30-50k.(Bosch)- Turbo 50k (Poss. oil line pinch during inject. work)- Power steering failure 44K. -Tailgate rust 4yrs. That said still love it truck. 4.10s too low for daily driver unless pulling daily. No competition in class 3 trucks, this truck is like a small semi. Cummins straight 6/6-speed is the only way to go, just like the big trucks. Have had p-strokes, V-8s are for cars, you have to really run them to achieve the same performance as the I6. From other reviews, problems seem rare, mine were largely component mfgs. These will be regarded as the last good ones.

Power to Pull
By FireMedic on 04/26/08 16:10 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (5.9L 6cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I purchased this vehicle used from a dealer. The vehicle was used by a local farmer to pull cattle. I replaced an 2006 F-250 5.4L - I was passed on the interstate by an 80,000 lbs semi. I was pulling a 12,000 lbs 5th-wheel camper. With this RAM, there was no trouble passing anything on any grade of hill in any of my travels. The power and confidence are there to pull or climb any hill. On the same hill the F-250 did 25 mph - RAM was doing 70 !!!

3500 Diesel Ram
By Joshua on 04/27/07 19:53 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (5.9L 6cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This has been a great truck. I have 87,000 miles so far. I am averaging 23.1 mpg, but drive conservatively. Very strong frame and heavy truck. Loving it.

Not very happy
By n/a on 01/31/07 09:37 AM (PST)

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 4dr Quad Cab ST 4WD SB (5.9L 6cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I have had this since 3000 miles. Now at 70,000 miles i am thinking of trading it in. I've needed a water pump ,power steering pump, tranny lines, flip down visor, and now rust is forming on the inner wheel well on passangers side. Total repairs must be about $2,000.00 so far. Some were covered under warranty thank God. I am only getting about 13.5 mpg. and to me the truck unloaded going up a hill at about 70 loses power not very impressive. Wind noise comes in from drivers side door. I will give the truck this it has not left me on the side of the road "yet"? I drive this truck as a car. I haul a trailer(about 5000lbs ) maybe 10 times a year if I am lucky everything else is hwy. Not very happy