Used 1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
Luxury workhorse
By "DW"

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

I stepped up from a '96 1500. I was needed the additional hauling capacity as I have 32' trailer I use to haul 5 horses. I've hauled it from Greensboro, NC to Chicago, IL and back on a three day trip with no hassles. The Cummins TurboDeisel handled the mountains of WV without dropping from the posted speeds. The cab is well designed with all controls w/in easy reach.

Favorite Features

The 5.9l TurboDeisel and the Burley body contouring.

Suggested Improvements

A larger rear seating area.

Towing Buddy
By dennis j hough

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

I bought this truck to tow a fully loaded 34-foot fifth wheel camper in the Appalachia Mountians and she is a willing partner. The Low Range and 4wd make it possible to get the camper in almost anywhere. The 12 valve Cummings Turbo Diesel sounds like a big rig and when matched with the 5 speed manual transmission, you can putt down the highway at low rpms. 3rd gear will climb any highway mountain at 45 mph at full tow. A good contractors cap keeps the ride less bouncy when not runnig with loads. Diesel Fuel costs can swing more than gas. But if you need to tow heavy things, this is a hard truck to beat.

Favorite Features

Cumming Diesel Engine, Big Truck power and sound. Dual Batteries, Rear Entry 1/2 Doors, Power Driver Seat and Music System.

Suggested Improvements

Battery Cables Ends need to be made to fit battery terminals. Block heater for winter starts. Full 4 doors, but have been added to new models.