Used 2009 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Dodge Ram-pickup-2500 - Consumer Reviews

2009 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 2500 model:

The greatest dodge diesel ever built
By bill winters

2009 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 SLT 4dr Quad Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

i had a 05 dodge 2500 quad hemi i absolutely loved,but i was pushing 70,000 miles and decided to spend some of the kids inheritance so bought a 09 dodge 2500 slt quad diesel 6 speed auto.this truck just blew my mind.so much power its scary,it has all the upgrades stereo, Sirius, blue tooth phone, power rear window and it gets great mileage. Only got 1500 miles on it and I get 14.5 mpg pulling a 6000 trailer and empty 25 mpg. I did put on a k&n filter. The only problem is at 1500 rpm, if I let up on the gas then apply it there's a vibration between the engine and transmission. The dealer assures me it'll go away but I'm going to pressure the dealer on this.

Favorite Features

i cannot think of anything negative about this truck.I've had them all and this truck is super! The diesel, 6 speed, stereo, phone, the looks, and look at all of them on the road towing monster rvs, that tells you something.

Suggested Improvements

dodge, don't change a thing.you can't improve on this truck.

Save Time and Money
By Georgia Polecat

2009 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 SLT 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Folks, I'm hear to save you some time and money. I have owned them all. GMC,Ford,Chevrolet all with diseal engines. You should alredy know that a gas motor can't compare to a diseal, even the Hemi. I finally bought a Dodge. It is the best truck I have ever owned. It rides great,looks great,tows like a dream. I get 23 mpg just driveing around. I get 18 mpg towing a 10,000 lb trailer going 70 mph with the air on. This is completely stock. You don't need to anything to it. I wish someone would have told me this as it would have saved me allot of money and headaches. I had to learn the hard way. Do your self a favor and buy a Dodge with the Cummins and the EVIC system. You will be glad you did.

Favorite Features

6.7 Cummins with 6 speed auto trans. The ride, fuel savings and a list too long to write here. It,s a great truck.

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of a thing. Maybe when I get a couple million miles on her.

Awesome Truck
By cd

2009 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Laramie 4dr Quad Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I pinch myself every time I drive this truck. The short bed handles great, the interior is luxury for me, the four wheel drive is great, exhaust brake is great, visibility wonderful, and build quality seems to be top notch for an American vehicle. I have driven the Tundra and this trick kicks but. The 6.7 litter dodge with the 6 speed is out of this world. The mirrors are also brilliant. The Dodge is better than Chevy and Ford (neither one utilizes the solid four piece frame channels).

Favorite Features

Laramie package, bench seating, storage space, looks, flip down mirrors. The looks of the 09 rocks over the new square 2010 trying to look like a Tundra. Fuel mileage is awesome when you think about what this truck does (19 mpg).

Suggested Improvements

The only complaint and I am pretty uptight and might be hearing things is I notice a slight ping at 1600 RPM. I have read the forums and only one other has noticed this. I think the two inch leveling kit should be standard as well as front and back mud flaps.

Exceeded my expectations
By Cab

2009 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 ST 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Picked this up with less than 100 miles on it and have put 1,500 on it so far. Fuel economy for highway driving averaged 24.7 mpg for the first 1,400. I have no complaints and it exceeds my expectations in every category. I enjoy the jake brake and like the way it works.

Favorite Features

Diesel engine, 6-speed automatic transmission, and jake brake. Six passenger capable although I haven't had six yet.

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of any so far. Maybe after I have put on a few thousand miles.

2009 Ram 2500 HEMI stinks
By Ed

2009 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Laramie 4dr Quad Cab LB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I traded for this thinking it would be better/less expensive on gas than my Cummins. I get religiously 14.3mpg on the highway, and towing on relatively level, some rolling hills, 6500# - 8.7mpg. I am putting 89oct in it and that costs what I paid for diesel. Oh it's loaded with electric stuff, but this truck is too heavy for an over hyped dead HEMI. It needs the 6 speed tranny and Dodge just shouldn't have trash like this out. Now I'm STUCK with this dog, and I can't say enough bad about it. If you want to haul, ANYTHING, get a diesel and forget this hemi junk. I HATE IT, and I can't scream it enough. The Sirius radio won't even show the title playing - like my $25 Sirius addon radio!HATEIT

Favorite Features

Life time power train warranty is it's only good feature

Suggested Improvements

Put in a radio that shows the Sirius titles, add 6 speed tranny like the diesel has, fix that fuel lie-o-meter that NEVER is close to average mpg.