2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Consumer Review: Love my truck

2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Mega Cab - Consumer Review

Love my truck
By Eddie F. on

2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Laramie 4dr Mega Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is my first diesel. Before I go on, I somebody on Cummins Forum wrote all 6.7 owners should delete the DPF and the exhaust gas recirculator and love their truck 364 days a year and hate it the one day all that stuff has to go on to pass inspection. Yeah, It's been to the dealer for a check engine light twice, the turbo's been cleaned out. Here's what I learned: Do NOT use fuel additive regularly even if it is ULSD / DPF safe(maybe for very cold weather), do not make many short trips without long ones in between, take a long drive at a respectable speed (at least 50mph for 50 miles will clean out the dirty end of things), avoid stop & go traffic, and don't stomp on it all the time.

Despite the above, since the computer was flashed and the turbo cleaned, I figured out how to drive it and have yet to have a problem. It's still stock. This engine has power from start to finish. I get 24 MPG at 50 mph and about 16 at 80. I like the hard shifting 6 speed auto and the exhaust brake.

Dear Dodge: please recirculate exhaust gas after it's been filtered or better yet ditch all of that and use a urea SCR system. Please also put bigger tires and rims on it - a 7 foot tall 21 foot long monster looks silly with little feet.