2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 2500 model:
Love my truck
By Eddie F. on 10/27/09 19:35 PM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Laramie 4dr Mega Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is my first diesel. Before I go on, I somebody on Cummins Forum wrote all 6.7 owners should delete the DPF and the exhaust gas recirculator and love their truck 364 days a year and hate it the one day all that stuff has to go on to pass inspection. Yeah, It's been to the dealer for a check engine light twice, the turbo's been cleaned out. Here's what I learned: Do NOT use fuel additive regularly even if it is ULSD / DPF safe(maybe for very cold weather), do not make many short trips without long ones in between, take a long drive at a respectable speed (at least 50mph for 50 miles will clean out the dirty end of things), avoid stop & go traffic, and don't stomp on it all the time.

fuel in oil
By fuel in oil on 10/09/09 08:56 AM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 SLT 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

I purchased truck in oct.2008 run good first 10000 miles started having problems after that. Check engine light on and off was told to drive with engine brake on all the time.Still going on and off was told to much oil in engine had oil changed.Told to let drain for 15 min.than add oil lube place did that. Still to much oil in engine.Now they are telling me there is fuel in oil crank-case. I am not a mechanic but how does the fuel get in the oil

Don't BUY
By Tim Padgett on 09/01/09 07:02 AM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 SXT 4dr Mega Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have had nothing but trouble with the fuel system I contacted Dodge and they know of the problems but refuse to fix them I was told I could watch a dvd if I had any questions the problem arose with the blue tech after I bought the truck (with all blue techs) to fix it you have to dive 45 min for 45 mph w/o going under 45 mph and under 2000 rpm every week this with give you the truck terrible mpg and wear and tear on the truck for no reason I tell everyone I know do not buy Dodge because if something goes wrong it's your fault for buying their product if you don't have the time to waste 1 1/2 hours a weeks for no reason at all buy a Ford or Chevy look into it for yourself call any Dodge dealer

Satisfed, But... # 2
By Canuck on 08/16/09 06:36 AM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Laramie 4dr Mega Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I'm back with the second installment... I still love this truck... Wanted to comment on check engine light issues, my dealer worked w/ Chrysler & Cummins and had a couple of fixes... the other thing I observed is even though I'm driving a 6.7l w/ 6A, shift it manually... also run with exhaust brake on at all times... I have know driven 20000+ miles w/ no engine light coming on... a little effort while driving & no issues... With a buddies truck, I demonstrated... Lug it - the check engine light comes on - don't lug, no issues... Keep the revs a little higher the exhaust brake on and it'll be as clean as a whistle... Keep on trucking...

Black Beauty
By Jerry on 06/27/09 13:08 PM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 ST 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

I like the power of my Hemi. Turning is great compared to my old F250. Has 100 more horsepower and weighs 1000lbs less than the ford. The tire pressure light stay on unless you run 80LBS of air in the tires. Tows my 5th wheel with ease and with the long bed I have room for my across the bed tool box and still have room for my hitch. Plenty of room for turning the trailer when parking. With the HD option you have trouble lowering the rear end to the overloads. I haven't enjoyed driving a pickup as much in a long time. If you need a work truck for a decent price and fuel mileage it is a hard truck to beat. The only thing would change is go with upgraded interior and better paint.

POOR TOWING AND FUEL MILEAGE
By Fed up with Dodges on 05/25/09 14:43 PM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 ST 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

Poor towing, will not pull 5300 lbs trailer weight. Shifted 191 times in 140 miles. Fuel mileage 5 mile to the gallon. Dodge refuses to fix truck. I have owned over 40 new trucks..Dodge tells me I do not know how to drive one. This truck is a 2500HD 4 wheel drive Hemi. The worst truck I have ever owned. I am going back to Chevrolet. I even went to the Better Business Bureau to get this truck fixed with no success. Dodge refuses to fix the truck. They say there is nothing wrong with it. Which is a big lie.

Can Not fix my Truck
By Dan.Skillman on 05/15/09 09:48 AM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Laramie 4dr Quad Cab 4WD LB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this truck, my 2500 dodge with the 6.7 in it on Feb 2008. It has been in the dealers shop 11 times now and is in there as we speak. I have turned it over to my lawyer with the lemon law and are waiting to see what the court is going to do with them going bankrupt. Truck runs great when I slam the fuel to it. But it jerkes all the time no matter what the speed. I just wish the dealers would get some real mechanics and not part changers. I am a Diesel Mechanic myself. The dealer has replaced the turbo and many, many sencers,they do not know what to do. Plus the factory does not help at all. Getting around 15-16 MPG. I did get 17 onces but I was going 45 MPH in Yellowstone Park!!!

Emission problem nightmare
By Daryl Hauser on 05/13/09 17:48 PM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 SLT 4dr Quad Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

I had a check engine the 2nd. week of purchase; and they haven't quit. I am now waiting for a new and improved turbo, jacob brake,what ever you call it, burned up the first one. Old turbo had been cleaned and reassembled, reset light, and regenerated, to only come back on again! I wish that I had my 05 5.9 back! I was told to drive with turbo on always until the new one comes in. I am pissed off about all of the trips to dealer. I was suckered into buying the "free" 3000 mile oil changes. Not anymore! They can shove their oil changes! Some mech. wallowed my cooling fins flat and to top it off I was 2(two)quarts over the full line! I am investigating the Lemon laws in Oregon.

Satisfied - but...
By Canuck on 03/08/09 19:13 PM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Laramie 4dr Mega Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought a Dodge Ram 2500 with 6.7l Cummins... Love the drive line... Front suspension issues - had to replace 4 ball joints & 2 front shocks at 18000 miles... mostly highway driving. (and I'm not plowing snow w/ this truck) While the rest of the truck seems bullit proof, I have concerns about the longevity of the front end on this 4 x 4 truck...

"first timer here"
By dieselvirgin on 03/08/09 17:23 PM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 SLT 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

So far have to say, I don't think I will be driving another gas truck. I love my new dodge ram 2500 crew cab 6.7L diesel. Runs great right off the lot, tons of power. I can't wait to hook up my trailer and head for the mountains. No "break in" period...kid in a candy store!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 in WA is:

$120 per month*