Used 2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 2500 model:

Most Helpful|
party cab
By Lizard

2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 SXT 4dr Mega Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I love my dodge mega cab. I have had trouble with the tire pressure lights coming on, although I think the crew that changed the oil is partly to blame for taking air out of the tires. (nice). It's a very bumpy ride over 70 mph, but if I'm hauling cattle and kids, its perfect. It's made for me. I love the interior, plenty of storage space. I love switching to 4wd; very easy. I have had no problems, except fuel economy is pretty lackluster, but hey who are we kidding? its a truck!

Favorite Features

The Room!

Suggested Improvements

Handling while driving over 55 mph. without a load, tire pressure monitor.

1st time Dodge owner, never again
By peteg

2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Laramie 4dr Mega Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this truck after my Superduty was stolen. I have 31m500 miles on the truck. I have alignment problems from day one and they still remain. The dealer changed all front end parts including: steering box, tie rod, ball joints. I am on my second set of tires. The check engine light comes on often and I have replaced one turbo. I could go on and on. I can't wait until I can afford another Superduty! Seriously.

Favorite Features

Backseat leg room. The a/c is cold.

Suggested Improvements

The GPS is outdated. Needs to be a touch screen.

Satisfied - but...
By Canuck

2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Laramie 4dr Mega Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought a Dodge Ram 2500 with 6.7l Cummins... Love the drive line... Front suspension issues - had to replace 4 ball joints & 2 front shocks at 18000 miles... mostly highway driving. (and I'm not plowing snow w/ this truck) While the rest of the truck seems bullit proof, I have concerns about the longevity of the front end on this 4 x 4 truck...

Favorite Features

6.7 Cummins is a big improvement over the 5.9 Cummins - torque & usable power curve are superior. Can haul 2200 lbs at highway speeds over long distance very comfortably - no shifting - hunting on the trans. - nice positive transmission shifts on 6A... Exhaust brake works great!

Suggested Improvements

Would definitely like to see ball joints w/ grease fittings as OE... will likely need to do ball joints again prior to warranty lapsing and then upgrade to aftermarket balljoints with grease fittings

The worst vehicle I have ever owned
By Thesasks

2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Laramie 4dr Mega Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

First this thing rides like a tank and just about knocks your fillings out over bumps (why would any manufacturer spec tire pressures of 60f/70r in a truck that is rated to tow less than their own 1/2 tons)to start this 38 trips to the shop in 23 months. 3 windshield wiper motors, 3 blower motors, replaced intermediate steering shaft twice, all the steering components once and a couple twice and the truck still drives like it's on marbles and just wants to wander around, I got used to that but try that with a 34 foot trailer out back. Cruise control works only when it wants to, replaced all the doors and motors on the heater box and then had to replace the entire heater box assembly and I won't

Favorite Features

The only good thing about this truck is the exterior looks.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the suspension all together and use the design Ford has been using

Love my truck
By Eddie F.

2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Laramie 4dr Mega Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is my first diesel. Before I go on, I somebody on Cummins Forum wrote all 6.7 owners should delete the DPF and the exhaust gas recirculator and love their truck 364 days a year and hate it the one day all that stuff has to go on to pass inspection. Yeah, It's been to the dealer for a check engine light twice, the turbo's been cleaned out. Here's what I learned: Do NOT use fuel additive regularly even if it is ULSD / DPF safe(maybe for very cold weather), do not make many short trips without long ones in between, take a long drive at a respectable speed (at least 50mph for 50 miles will clean out the dirty end of things), avoid stop & go traffic, and don't stomp on it all the time.

Favorite Features

Despite the above, since the computer was flashed and the turbo cleaned, I figured out how to drive it and have yet to have a problem. It's still stock. This engine has power from start to finish. I get 24 MPG at 50 mph and about 16 at 80. I like the hard shifting 6 speed auto and the exhaust brake.

Suggested Improvements

Dear Dodge: please recirculate exhaust gas after it's been filtered or better yet ditch all of that and use a urea SCR system. Please also put bigger tires and rims on it - a 7 foot tall 21 foot long monster looks silly with little feet.