Used 2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Quad Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Quad Cab

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 2500 model:

Wake up Chrysler
By tube1

2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Quad Cab Laramie 4dr Quad Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Have had this truck now for 7 yrs purchased brand new with 6 miles on it. And I can say that build quality for this has been lackluster to say the least. The fuel mileage on the 6.7 diesel is terrible and the only way to improve it is with the DPF delete kit. At 35000 miles had to replace all the ball joints, maintenance cannot be done on it without getting filthy on even the simplest of items. I use mine as a horse to pull heavy loads most of the time but the fuel mileage is so bad that most of the time I try to use another vehicle At best I get 13-14 mpg with it empty driving very conservatively And I have the DPF delete kit on it. It's a poor quality build all around. Cannot recommend.

Favorite Features

Lots of low end torque when loaded down. Cab is reasonably comfortable but need to lower tire pressure to smooth out the ride. Cruise works well. Seems quite in the cab when going down the road but this is my 6th diesel P/U. Really like the stereo controls on the steering wheel. Good stereo.

Suggested Improvements

Fix MPG this is horrible. Without modifications to the truck I would only be getting 10 mpg on the highway. Even with mods to the truck still only getting 13-14 mpg. The windshield post are way to big, it creates a huge blind spot. Have almost been in 3 accidents because of this. Auto transmission in tow mode needs serious improvements will downshift and over rev when going down hills even with jake brake on. I've had to throw it up in neutral several times to prevent this. The front end needs serious re-engineering replacing all the ball joints at 35k miles on a 3/4 ton truck is bad engineering. Chrysler corp needs to wake up consumers will respond if you make a good quality product.

Steering problemsI own a 2008 4x4 quad
By Ian

2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Quad Cab SLT 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

I own a 2008 2500 quad cab4x4 s/b I love the look and interior of this truck but have had problems with a thunk in the steering wheel dealer has replaced the front end totally and the problem still exists.I was told today that this is normal for This year and to expect a death wobble possible on the highway at 70 mph if you hit a pot hole or bump the truck will jump out from under you well this happened 3 months ago and never crossed my mind there was a problem till today when told of this . I want to know why Dodge will not fix the problem but the dealer service guys give you a link to aftermarket parts to fix the problem. Government needs to step in we need dodge to step up to the plate.

Engine light coming on
By ric

2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Quad Cab SLT 4dr Quad Cab 4WD LB (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

found to be sulfur sensor problem after two trips to dealer they called dodge which has a new program to clean canister quicker and soon you don't even know when it is going to do it. they fixed the problem thanks

So many problems, so few miles
By Farmer's Wife

2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Quad Cab SLT 4dr Quad Cab 4WD LB (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

We have had nothing but trouble from our Ram 2500. Bought new in 2009. At 15k miles, the DPF clogged and backed up into/burned up the turbo. 8 months later Dodge did a recall. Apparently, the computer doesn't tell the DPF to regenerate. At 27k miles, the water pump leaked (spewed may be a better word) and the head gasket blew before we could get it to a safe place to pull over. The engine brake doesn't work all the time. The truck has spent 2 and a half of the 15 months we've had it, in the shop!

Favorite Features

Love the interior roominess. Acceleration is great. Would love this truck if it were reliable.

Suggested Improvements

Dodge needs to just recall the entire DPF/exhaust system. Go back the 5.9L Cummins without all the emissions *improvements*!

dont buy a dodge
By ksurprise

2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Quad Cab SLT 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

I bought this truck for one reason the cummins engine I thinkk they make a very good motor and I havent had and problems with the turbo or exhaust, but then again I drive 1000 miles a week between jobsites on the highways so it stays cleaned out. At 50,000 miles though the transmission acted up took it to the dealership they said it was a sensor ended up paying 1300$ for a sensor seems rediculous after they replaced that still they test drove it didnt shift right said they would have to get further into it to find the problem calls me back said you need a whole new transmission now so that will be 5000$ more. paid alot of money for a piece of junk truck basically. Wish i had my f150 back

Favorite Features

engine is strong

Suggested Improvements

Transmission is weak make a deal to use allison transmissions and with the cummins motor would be perfect pairing