Used 2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 SLT Quad Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 2500 model:

First Diesel and First Dodge
By ROB98024

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Quad Cab SLT 4dr Quad Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

I bought this '06 Ram Diesel when it had 51000 miles and it runs great. I changed all the fluids with synthetic but am staying with Delo 400 15-40 for the engine and changing it every 5000 mile along with a fleetguard filter. I added an AFE stage 2 intake, BD tranny pan, and Smarty Jr. Recent trip from Denver to Seattle averaged 19.7 mpg unloaded at average speed of 70. Did not burn a drop of oil. The dealer changed the ball joints and u-joints when I bought the truck. I can see these are going to be a weak area but the Cummins diesel can't be beat. I was a Chevy person for 30 years and even though I loved the Silverado I will drive this Dodge till it won't go anymore.

Favorite Features

Looks, Cummins Diesel, fuel mileage better than gasser. Roomy front and rear seats. Turning radius. Ease of checking and servicing fluids.

Suggested Improvements

Build a beefier front end. Switch to an Allison Tranny. Seats could be more comfortable.

Contractor Grade
By jpl in seabrook

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Quad Cab SLT 4dr Quad Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

Bought the 4X4, diesel, in June 2009. Traded in 2006 Tundra regular cab for it. Closed box beam frame, brakes that'd stop a locomotive, and an industrial grade diesel engine - all "the" requirements for a work truck. Interior is not glamorous, but the SLT has the essentials. SB has a tight turning radius; on a dime. Stock configuration sits up high off the ground. Low gear 4X4 transfer case; climbs up anything. Sound system has good tone; MP3 player plug in. Cab is quiet. Quab cab is roomy enough for adults for <300 mile trips. All around - looks manly; not an overchromed glitz truck. Best truck for the money.

Favorite Features

Cummins with 4 in pipe; rich sound. Mileage is unbelievable; 17 city, knocking on 23 hwy. Strongest 5.9 liter cummins configuration; no emissions crap for this year model. Rugged styling is reminiscent of the old 1940 series power wagons

Suggested Improvements

GPS as standard equipment.

That's fun
By Dave

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Quad Cab SLT 4dr Quad Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

I just purchased this truck used with 22k miles. I traded in my 01 Cummins and have zero regrets. With the six speed manual the 5.7 Hemi can be really fun to drive. The kids have plenty of room in the backseat and the front offers plenty of room for both driver and passenger.

Favorite Features

Six speed manual trans

Suggested Improvements

The gas mileage could be better, but thats what I get for racing (and beating) every Ford or Chevy I can line up with!

Awesome Power!
By WSpeer

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Quad Cab SLT 4dr Quad Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

I traded in a Ram 1500 with a 5.9L (gas) engine and my new 5.7L Hemi (w/auto)completely blows it away. 100 more HP and about the same gas mileage. I average around 11 MPG around town and get aroud 16 on the highway (12 towing a 4000 lbs TT). The new 2500 is exremely well designed inside and out. I have a Sport model with leather bucket seats and fixed center console and it's very comfortable and loaded with features. My wife is jealous becuase it's more luxurious than her car! Navigation and satellite radio are both fun extras that I would have never considered but ended up really liking. My only complaint is the low ride height of the 2500 2WD nose and the unattractive stock wheels.

Favorite Features

Hemi engine and navigation system

Suggested Improvements

Ugly stock wheels (no 20" option on HD) and poor gas mileage

What A Towing Machine
By Ed H

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Quad Cab SLT 4dr Quad Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

FYI, I have a 2500 Quad Cab 2wd short bed 5.9L Cummins Diesel 4 speed auto trans. I love this thing, it gets better mpg towing my 6500lb trailer then my '03 Hemi did empty. Wish the shocks were a bit firmer. Interior is simple and clean. Been real good to me so far, 2 months and 5400 miles. 13mpg towing, 20mpg empty, and with all that torque, it makes it fun to drive on the freeway, passing is a breeze, no down shifting needed.

Favorite Features

The POWER, endless power with the Cummins Diesel, 14,000lb towing capacity

Suggested Improvements

Better shocks, it floats too much.