Used 2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Mega Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 2500 model:

Rusting Exhaust
By Ann

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Mega Cab SLT 4dr Mega Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Loved this truck when I bought it, but the exhaust has rusted at 48,000 miles. Chrysler was no help, found out the truck was made in Mexico. I think for a truck that has been maintained and well taken care of should have an exhaust system that did not rust out so soon. My Chevy Duramx has held up better, no rust underneath, no problems with the truck.

BALL JOINTS AND U-JOINTS
By BooDizzle

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Mega Cab SLT 4dr Mega Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Cummins Diesel will tow anything on you can think of. But the downfall on my truck is the front suspension components and the weak transmission. I love the truck to death, yet hate the front components. Family of five can go on 1000+ mile trips comfortably while refueling only once. The enormous fuel tank allows this. Added 4.5Inch Exhaust, AFE Stage 2 Intake and also a Hypertech Econ Tuner to increase fuel mileage. My truck is definitely a workhorse!

Favorite Features

Love the interior space, love the Cummins engine. Love the fuel mileage compared to gas powered trucks. This 9000lb Beast gets better highway mileage than my wifes 2005 Honda Pilot. And can do it consistently at 80-85MPH. Love the truck but I hate the front weak components!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Suggested Improvements

Give the heavy duty trucks heavy duty components in the front end, the heavy diesel engine literally destroys the lame 1/2 ton ball joints and destroys the weak stock u-joints. Give me the heavy duty performance we paid for. $50K plus for this truck, but end up paying $3000-$4000 annually in costs

Go Cummings
By Josh

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Mega Cab SLT 4dr Mega Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Best truck, best vehicle I have ever had. Cummings will pull anything you have. Added larger tires to fill in wheel wells. Went from 265/70-17 to 285/70-17 added about 1 inch in height. Does very well off road. Get 19-20 city and 20-22 highway. If you are looking for a porsche ride go buy a porsche. This is a truck and rides accordingly. The only thing that has broken on it so far is the power seat. It will go up, back, forward but not down. Love the option of a sun roof. Huge back seat. Had to sit in it a couple of times. Love the fact that the back seat reclines. I will drive the truck until it falls apart.

Favorite Features

Cummings, sun roof, reclining back seat, tows anything

Suggested Improvements

Better cloth on the seats, body should be stronger, dents easily, should not have discontinued this model.

No nonsense review
By Not a Cowboy

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Mega Cab SLT 4dr Mega Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is a diesel megacab, 2WD review. 93000 on the odometer-maybe will be called the best overall vehicle I've owned. On the road 22.4 mpg, in town 19-no hot doggin, and yes, the truck is capable of spinning the tires- whenever. Great room for a big/tall guy, and the person behind him. Not an intown vehicle-is not a short radius turner, and at 7600#, it doesn't handle or brake like a Porsche. But it is a very capable truck. Ride is truck like. Removed a leaf in the rear to help soften ride-I don't haul much. Three decided mfg. defects- engine has a breather tube which drips black engine oil, exhaust pipe too short-soots the rear quarter panel, spokes on wheel (al) had chatter marks.

Favorite Features

Vehicle has low end torque emblematic of diesel-this is a nice characteristic. For a huge vehicle mileage is exceptional-but don't expect a Prius-note what I wrote above. Actually a capable highway machine w. the best cruise control I've ever had.

Suggested Improvements

I was sorry Chrysler discontinued this vehicle. Go figure.

Awesome Truck
By Mike

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Mega Cab SLT 4dr Mega Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

This truck is a work horse. Tons of room in the back and plenty of power with the Cummins. I average 16-18 mpg in the city and 20-22 mpg on the highway (hand calculated). Best Truck I have owned.

Favorite Features

Mega Cab, Cummins