2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 2500 model:
2006 dodge quad cab cummins diesel, great truck
By romanc15 on 09/29/12 20:35 PM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 SLT 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

the truck is solid been driving for a few hundred miles now and i really like it. there is lots of power for when you need to get up to speed. the ride comfort is what you would expect from a heavy duty truck. i average 22 mpg on the hwy and 20 in the city. its worth the money. yes the interior quality is not the best but its ok. good truck. i drove a 2003 ford f250 with the 6.0 the aceleration sucked and the turbo lag was horrible. i would rev it all the way up to 3500 rpm and it would barley move the the dodge is a better choice.

Rusting Exhaust
By Ann on 10/01/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 SLT 4dr Mega Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Loved this truck when I bought it, but the exhaust has rusted at 48,000 miles. Chrysler was no help, found out the truck was made in Mexico. I think for a truck that has been maintained and well taken care of should have an exhaust system that did not rust out so soon. My Chevy Duramx has held up better, no rust underneath, no problems with the truck.

First Diesel and First Dodge
By ROB98024 on 03/30/10 11:49 AM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 SLT 4dr Quad Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

I bought this '06 Ram Diesel when it had 51000 miles and it runs great. I changed all the fluids with synthetic but am staying with Delo 400 15-40 for the engine and changing it every 5000 mile along with a fleetguard filter. I added an AFE stage 2 intake, BD tranny pan, and Smarty Jr. Recent trip from Denver to Seattle averaged 19.7 mpg unloaded at average speed of 70. Did not burn a drop of oil. The dealer changed the ball joints and u-joints when I bought the truck. I can see these are going to be a weak area but the Cummins diesel can't be beat. I was a Chevy person for 30 years and even though I loved the Silverado I will drive this Dodge till it won't go anymore.

Cummins
By Cummins Power on 03/05/10 19:43 PM (PST)

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 SLT 4dr Quad Cab LB (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

I love it! And I really love the gas mileage,I have got 28 MPG on a curvy uphill state highway! This thing almost has too much power for its own good!!! We tow a 7,500 lb bumper pull Travel Trailer up the rocky mountains and still get 15 MPG! I also tow a 16ft trailer that i tow a 3,500 Lb Antique Tractor and It pulls it like a piece of thread.

BALL JOINTS AND U-JOINTS
By BooDizzle on 02/10/10 15:37 PM (PST)

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 SLT 4dr Mega Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Cummins Diesel will tow anything on you can think of. But the downfall on my truck is the front suspension components and the weak transmission. I love the truck to death, yet hate the front components. Family of five can go on 1000+ mile trips comfortably while refueling only once. The enormous fuel tank allows this. Added 4.5Inch Exhaust, AFE Stage 2 Intake and also a Hypertech Econ Tuner to increase fuel mileage. My truck is definitely a workhorse!

Contractor Grade
By jpl in seabrook on 11/18/09 07:38 AM (PST)

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 SLT 4dr Quad Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

Bought the 4X4, diesel, in June 2009. Traded in 2006 Tundra regular cab for it. Closed box beam frame, brakes that'd stop a locomotive, and an industrial grade diesel engine - all "the" requirements for a work truck. Interior is not glamorous, but the SLT has the essentials. SB has a tight turning radius; on a dime. Stock configuration sits up high off the ground. Low gear 4X4 transfer case; climbs up anything. Sound system has good tone; MP3 player plug in. Cab is quiet. Quab cab is roomy enough for adults for <300 mile trips. All around - looks manly; not an overchromed glitz truck. Best truck for the money.

Not bad for 1st Diesel
By Alaskafd on 09/06/09 07:03 AM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Laramie 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

This is my 1st diesel picked it up used with 24k on it now up to 31k and I love it. The 5.9 has all the power you need and no EPA crap like the 08. Towing is not a problem. Get the Laramie pkg. Heated seats great in the winter. QC has lots of room for the kids. I have started this thing at -20 with no plug in around, truck starts right up. If your looking for a used diesel, go with this one for sure, you will love it

Go Cummings
By Josh on 08/19/09 18:35 PM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 SLT 4dr Mega Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Best truck, best vehicle I have ever had. Cummings will pull anything you have. Added larger tires to fill in wheel wells. Went from 265/70-17 to 285/70-17 added about 1 inch in height. Does very well off road. Get 19-20 city and 20-22 highway. If you are looking for a porsche ride go buy a porsche. This is a truck and rides accordingly. The only thing that has broken on it so far is the power seat. It will go up, back, forward but not down. Love the option of a sun roof. Huge back seat. Had to sit in it a couple of times. Love the fact that the back seat reclines. I will drive the truck until it falls apart.

No nonsense review
By Not a Cowboy on 07/22/09 17:54 PM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 SLT 4dr Mega Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is a diesel megacab, 2WD review. 93000 on the odometer-maybe will be called the best overall vehicle I've owned. On the road 22.4 mpg, in town 19-no hot doggin, and yes, the truck is capable of spinning the tires- whenever. Great room for a big/tall guy, and the person behind him. Not an intown vehicle-is not a short radius turner, and at 7600#, it doesn't handle or brake like a Porsche. But it is a very capable truck. Ride is truck like. Removed a leaf in the rear to help soften ride-I don't haul much. Three decided mfg. defects- engine has a breather tube which drips black engine oil, exhaust pipe too short-soots the rear quarter panel, spokes on wheel (al) had chatter marks.

This is a good truck in every way
By Nick on 04/09/09 10:09 AM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 SLT 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

I purchased my 2006 Dodge 2500 5.7L 4WD SLT Quad cab new. It now has about 30k on it and has been an excellent truck. Nothing has ever broken, it drives great with excellent acceleration and braking, but definitely rides like a truck. The storage space under the rear seat is great. I live in the south and the AC cools pretty good, but could be a little better. Fuel economy averages just under 14MPG, if I do all city driving it drops to around 13.5. I bought this truck to drive for years and enjoy and so far I have gotten what I paid for.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.