Used 2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 2500 model:

2006 dodge quad cab cummins diesel, great truck
By romanc15

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 SLT 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

the truck is solid been driving for a few hundred miles now and i really like it. there is lots of power for when you need to get up to speed. the ride comfort is what you would expect from a heavy duty truck. i average 22 mpg on the hwy and 20 in the city. its worth the money. yes the interior quality is not the best but its ok. good truck. i drove a 2003 ford f250 with the 6.0 the aceleration sucked and the turbo lag was horrible. i would rev it all the way up to 3500 rpm and it would barley move the the dodge is a better choice.

the raw power and acceleration

Rusting Exhaust
By Ann

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 SLT 4dr Mega Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Loved this truck when I bought it, but the exhaust has rusted at 48,000 miles. Chrysler was no help, found out the truck was made in Mexico. I think for a truck that has been maintained and well taken care of should have an exhaust system that did not rust out so soon. My Chevy Duramx has held up better, no rust underneath, no problems with the truck.

First Diesel and First Dodge
By ROB98024

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 SLT 4dr Quad Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

I bought this '06 Ram Diesel when it had 51000 miles and it runs great. I changed all the fluids with synthetic but am staying with Delo 400 15-40 for the engine and changing it every 5000 mile along with a fleetguard filter. I added an AFE stage 2 intake, BD tranny pan, and Smarty Jr. Recent trip from Denver to Seattle averaged 19.7 mpg unloaded at average speed of 70. Did not burn a drop of oil. The dealer changed the ball joints and u-joints when I bought the truck. I can see these are going to be a weak area but the Cummins diesel can't be beat. I was a Chevy person for 30 years and even though I loved the Silverado I will drive this Dodge till it won't go anymore.

Looks, Cummins Diesel, fuel mileage better than gasser. Roomy front and rear seats. Turning radius. Ease of checking and servicing fluids.

Build a beefier front end. Switch to an Allison Tranny. Seats could be more comfortable.

Cummins
By Cummins Power

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 SLT 4dr Quad Cab LB (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

I love it! And I really love the gas mileage,I have got 28 MPG on a curvy uphill state highway! This thing almost has too much power for its own good!!! We tow a 7,500 lb bumper pull Travel Trailer up the rocky mountains and still get 15 MPG! I also tow a 16ft trailer that i tow a 3,500 Lb Antique Tractor and It pulls it like a piece of thread.

The Power, The Looks, The Sound, The Durability,

They Should Have Kept Making It, Don't Get One Without 4x4, Exactly Follow The Maintenance Schedule and You Will Have A Long Lasting Truck You Can Drive The Wheels Off Of, Back Seats Could Use Some Help.

BALL JOINTS AND U-JOINTS
By BooDizzle

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 SLT 4dr Mega Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Cummins Diesel will tow anything on you can think of. But the downfall on my truck is the front suspension components and the weak transmission. I love the truck to death, yet hate the front components. Family of five can go on 1000+ mile trips comfortably while refueling only once. The enormous fuel tank allows this. Added 4.5Inch Exhaust, AFE Stage 2 Intake and also a Hypertech Econ Tuner to increase fuel mileage. My truck is definitely a workhorse!

Love the interior space, love the Cummins engine. Love the fuel mileage compared to gas powered trucks. This 9000lb Beast gets better highway mileage than my wifes 2005 Honda Pilot. And can do it consistently at 80-85MPH. Love the truck but I hate the front weak components!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Give the heavy duty trucks heavy duty components in the front end, the heavy diesel engine literally destroys the lame 1/2 ton ball joints and destroys the weak stock u-joints. Give me the heavy duty performance we paid for. $50K plus for this truck, but end up paying $3000-$4000 annually in costs