Used 2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 2500 model:

cummins power !!!!!!
By scott

2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

cummins power is great. ford and chevy diesels are 8 cyl. and the cummins are 6 cyl and still smokes them in hp and torque. the cummins have 30% less moving parts in the motor wich makes them more reliable. and the 6 cyl is way better in mpg's. But what can i say this truck is awesome.

Favorite Features

the cummins power, and the look of the truck. and also the truck is so comfortable to drive on freeway speeds.

Suggested Improvements

the only thing is to probly make the back seat bigger.

Ford man turns leaf
By Robster

2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

After being a dedicated Ford truck owner for my last 6 trucks, I decided to give the Dodge Ram with Cummins diesel a try. I regret not doing it sooner. I have read reviews and heard stories about how these trucks were supposed to fall apart but mine has been literally flawless. My test drives were with the 2005 GM Duramax trucks and the 2005 Ford Powerstroke. Hooked up to my 30ft travel trailer the other two just didn't compare. The truck really shined with a load behind it. I have owned it for 50000 miles now and have 1 TSB for a reflash and oil changes. The highway mileage is amazing. Very tough, very simple truck that I will never sell or trade. I am keeping this one forever!

Favorite Features

Power, mileage, reliability and ease of engine access. The 6 cylinder has room to spare.

Suggested Improvements

I wish I would have bought the 6- speed, but the auto is more than adequate.

My power wagon
By guido

2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

I use this truck mostly for hunting and pulling my 5th wheel camping trailer which weighs 8200 lbs and this truck is rated to pull 11,000 lbs. I barely notice its behind me due to the Hemi engine and 456 gears. It is the most capable factory produced pickup out there making all other 4x4's obsolete. Well worth the investment. This truck is not a beefed up heavy duty but one that's in its own class.

Favorite Features

The electric front and rear lockers. The front sway bar disconnect. The built in 12000 lb warn winch, the thicker steel used on all underbody componets and the steel cage that's there to protect the undercarrage.

Suggested Improvements

Dodge should have put Goodyear MTR tires on it instead of the Goodrich AT's which clog up easy with mud or rocks. The MTR's are self cleaning and are great in the mud without additional road noise.

Love it but it has issues.
By Scott

2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

I have about 40,000 miles on the truck at this point and the dealership knows me well. The electronic shift module failed at about 32,000. Dealer tells me to expect it again in another 30,000 or so. The electric door locks stopped working at 38,000. After getting stuck, I was informed that the four wheel drive system in this year model is really only a three wheel drive. Yep, no power will ever be provided to the left front wheel and that is the way it is designed. The door wind seals wear out about every 12 months. Poor design rubs on the doors when opened causing excessive wear. Love the diesel power and fuel economy! I get about 21mpg on the open road and still get the power when I haul.

Favorite Features

Power when pulling and ride quality for a 2500.

Suggested Improvements

Make the four wheel drive a real four wheel drive. Fix the automatic shifter module problem (Little plastic wheels wear out fast). Make reliable electronic components for the interior. Make a vehicle that stays in Park when it's put in Park. Do a safety recall that does less harm than good.

Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
By jackpurcell

2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

Great vehicle. Runs flawless. I use as a tow vehicle for a boat and antique car. I also use as a daily driver and work vehicle. This truck is dependable, comfortable to drive, and runs flawless. I will buy another Dodge when I am in the market again.

Favorite Features

Diesel is unbeatable. This is by far the best engine I have owned.

Suggested Improvements

Interior appointments are outdated. Very functional, but not very appealing or upscale.