Used 2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Quad Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Quad Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 2500 model:

King of the road
By Todd

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab Laramie 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5M)

I purchased this truck new in 2004. this was the third new dodge truck purchased by me.From previous experience I knew not to get the auto tranny due to failure in the previous two 1500s. I knew when I went to the dealer about cummins reliability and long life and I also requested the six speed manual. before I made the second payment, the truck broke down 5 times. However, dodge would not buy the truck back under the lemon law. you would need a really good lawyer to fight dodge. I am really glad I kept the truck. after I got a good mechanic from dodge to fix the problem this truck has been great. Pushing 175,000 miles and not another single issue. 24.5 mpg@70 mph 33.0 mpg@50 mph. still stock.

very powerful motor. my mechanic told me to drive it like i stole it. the Laramie package was well worth the extra cost.

the bfg tires got 95,000 miles before replacement was warranted. however, never could keep the hooked up with the road. especially when the road was wet. running michelins now and am very satisfied

Don't buy
By Blaine

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5M)

My truck developed the 'death wobble' and I've spent in excess of $2500 trying to fix it. If you aren't aware of what the 'death wobble' is, Google it. There is a serious design flaw in the 2500 and 3500 models that Dodge has yet to address let alone acknowledge. Do not buy this vehicle or it can happen to you. Most people that have this happen to them sell their trucks because of the difficulty in fixing. I'm surprised no one has died (which is probably why Dodge refuses to admit the problem).

I like my truck but it's dangerous to drive.

Fix the 'death wobble'

Never buy one again!
By Dakken

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab ST Rwd SB (5.7L 8cyl 5M)

I have never had a vehicle in the garage as much as this dodge. I bought a used 04 2500 4wd quad slt. My first repair was replacing all the shocks, driving on the highway if I hit a bump the front end would pound had to slow way to for it stop. Then my water pump went, all the pulleys went, evap leak had to replace all the hoses on top of the gas tank. Had to replace front u-joints and upper and lower ball joints on both sides. Now @ 70k have to replace muffler which you can not buy after market so I'm putting dual exhaust on it. Sad thing is this truck gets babied. I never tow or haul anything. Just drive to work and back. Worst truck I've ever owned!

HEMI and plenty of power love the looks.

reliability. My truck is in the garage at least once a month in the 2 years I've own it. Never had a vehicle break down this much before. Sadly disappointed in it.

Solid Workhorse
By Mark

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (5.7L 8cyl 5M)

This truck has proved itself to be a great workhorse. About 80% of miles were empty city/highway and 20% towing very heavy loads (10,000#s +). Oil gets changed every 8,000 miles and run Marvel Mystery Oil every other tank. Only repair was a fuel pump at 80K which was covered under warranty. Plan on many more miles with this truck and wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

Powerful, efficient, and reliable motor. Comfortable interior (for a 3/4 ton truck) Overall Reliability.

Great Truck
By Hoodlum

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab Laramie 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5M)

I bought it used with 60k miles. Not many used out there, then or now with the Cummins. Automatic has been great. Ride is a little stiff, but it's a real truck, 2500. Had the 1/2 ton,1997, gas, Dodge, no comparison. Now have 138k miles, looking at going with a chip. I run 185/70/17s, get 19.4 mpg, at 71mph. city/hwy average 17.6, no load, with bed cover. City and 6x12 box trailer milage 13.2. With trailer and these tires, running around town its a little weak, time to chip.Maintenance has been low, very few problems. Get the Laramie, it's worth it, you will appreciate them, I know I do.

Looks, short bed, the frame is high and hidden by the body, you don't see it hanging down like the Chevy. I like my truck.

The head lights are horrible. I have the best replacement bulds out there. A dealer aggreed, but had no recomendations. The back seat needs more room, the mega cab, please, I just need a little room, not a sleeper. No other complaints.