Used 2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 SLT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 2500 model:

Solid Workhorse
By Mark

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (5.7L 8cyl 5M)

This truck has proved itself to be a great workhorse. About 80% of miles were empty city/highway and 20% towing very heavy loads (10,000#s +). Oil gets changed every 8,000 miles and run Marvel Mystery Oil every other tank. Only repair was a fuel pump at 80K which was covered under warranty. Plan on many more miles with this truck and wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

Favorite Features

Powerful, efficient, and reliable motor. Comfortable interior (for a 3/4 ton truck) Overall Reliability.

Bangin
By Cummin

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (5.7L 8cyl 5M)

My Truck, a 2005, 2500 with the Cummins TD HO is the best truck I have ever owned. Speaking of owned... thats exactly what it does to the Ford and Chevy. It's the most quiet, fuel efficient, smallest engine, and still generates the more power. This truck is amazing. though the 48re is letting me down after 90kmiles ( having trouble shifting in between first and second gear) I still rate it a 10. I have every performance upgrade you can do to the engine.... minus twin turbos and have been running the stock tranny. I'm happy it's lasted this long.

Favorite Features

5.9 litre Cummins HO I-6

Wonderful Truck
By Scott

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (5.7L 8cyl 5M)

My wife and I love my truck. I had a Dodge 1500 and traded it in on my Dodge 2500. The diesel is great and it drives better than any other vehicle I have ever had. The only thing I want now is a Mega Cab 2500. I have 4 boys and we have taken numerous trips for more than 500 miles and the truck was great. The mileage is usually around 22 to 23 mpg. The truck is great.

Favorite Features

Drives great with great power.

Suggested Improvements

Be careful in wet weather, the tires spin very easy. The back seats need improvement for comfort, but that is what the Mega Cab did.

Dodge 2500 Diesel
By dolphinmetsfan

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (5.7L 8cyl 5M)

Lots of power and relatively good fuel mileage compared with its gas-powered sisters

Favorite Features

The diesel

Suggested Improvements

More storage room under back seats.

You want a TRUCK, buy a Dodge
By firetektoo

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (5.7L 8cyl 5M)

First, it seems odd that Edmunds does not list the Cummins HO Turbo Diesel as one of the choices when submitting a review. We use the truck as a daily driver, commuting about 90miles a day, because it gets BETTER fuel mileage than my 4cyl S-10, about 22 on the road. Towing a 9000# fifth wheel, we get 12- 13 and never feel overloaded or underpowered. The cabin is quieter than the 2001 Ford F150 Super Crew we traded in and the Infinty sound system kicks a**. The truck is solid, strong, and a real pleasure to drive. If you want a TRUCK, buy a Dodge - Everything else is just payments.

Favorite Features

Smooth transmission, fold down floor in rear, both 7pin and 4pin trailer wiring connectors standard, EXCELLENT sound system, absolutely the BEST truck engine on the planet.

Suggested Improvements

Rear window wiper/defroster.