Used 2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 SLT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 2500 model:

High Repair Costs
By not_dodge

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 2dr Regular Cab SLT 4WD LB (5.7L 8cyl 5M)

I love this truck. It's a real stump puller. Tows heavy loads great.

Favorite Features

Solid engine power, very flat torque curve. Great auto transmission. Everything is VERY heavy duty.

Suggested Improvements

Over my ownership of this vehicle which I purchased NEW, I have had to sink over $12,600 in just REPAIRS! Turbo, AC, power distribution controller, lift pump, exhaust system, front knuckles, u-joints. The list goes on. Used 94% for simple commuting. Very little hauling.

good machine
By mytruck

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 2dr Regular Cab SLT 4WD LB (5.7L 8cyl 5M)

This is my first dodge and I am very happy. 2500HD SLT Off Road with Hemi power. Use it for farm work and commuting to work. Most I have pulled is a 36,000-pound wagon and is had plenty of power for the job. My wife made many runs this fall with 24,000-pound wagon and had no problems,even coming out of a soft field. (it was quite a sight!) This is a true truck..

Favorite Features

The Hemi engine is smooth and powerful. I get 15mpg highway, 8-10mpg pulling/working. Off road package is a good buy in my opinion. Auto trans. is smooth in all shifts. quite interior and nice steering/brakes. Heated mirrors and rear window works well. This truck is a lot of bang for the buck!

Suggested Improvements

The drivers seat is hard, power seat is comfortable if it is set just right. Sound system is marginal. Cargo lamp doesn't come on when doors are opened like my ford did, miss that option

tried the rest bought the best
By ghettoct

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 2dr Regular Cab SLT 4WD LB (5.7L 8cyl 5M)

we were looking to buy a 4X4 truck and test drove the new ford f150, toyota tundra and the dodge ram. the toyota was nice but small, the ford was over priced and had no umph, and the ram....well....it took us by the horns! on our test drive i floored it and man it was nice to be planted in the seat...the interior was well thought out and not only finctional but pleasing to the eye. the overall look, ride and price was too nice to pass. i got my 2500 SLT with several options and the price was 200 over what the basic f150 was. iam very pleased with my new addition and its nice to see some pick up in a pick up! nice sound of the hemi!

Favorite Features

for me its the amount of horse power and ride. for a 3/4 it rides smooth and the premium seats are comfy. the wife loves the overhead console and MPG readout. on our test drive wife noticed the power as she was planted in her seat..

Suggested Improvements

iam happy with our ram as she is

2500 with HO Cummins / 6 speed trans
By aero

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 2dr Regular Cab SLT 4WD LB (5.7L 8cyl 5M)

The pulling power of this truck is amazing. Pulling a 6000 LB skid steer on a 2500 LB trailer at 7000 ft elevation with no lack of power. Good brakes but I would recommend the E- Brake by Jacob's this is a bolt mod on at the Cummins dealer no warrantee issues. Cold weather starting has been without issue and it doesn't sound like the engine is going to come out of the hood when you do start it on a 10 degree morning. Get this truck if you need a workhorse built to do what most pickups cannot do walk away if you are wanting a cruiser for getting groceries.

Favorite Features

Lots of space behind the seat. Quiet diesel engine. Good styling. Plenty of options one can get.

Suggested Improvements

Fit and finish of the interior of this truck needs work. The Laramie option might be one to think about if it gets rid of the plastic feel and the small rattles it has. Turn down the brightness of the High Beam Indicator, my head is being x-rayed. A more insulation on the firewall.