2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 2500 model:
King of the road
By Todd on 08/27/10 17:31 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 4dr Quad Cab Laramie 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5M)

I purchased this truck new in 2004. this was the third new dodge truck purchased by me.From previous experience I knew not to get the auto tranny due to failure in the previous two 1500s. I knew when I went to the dealer about cummins reliability and long life and I also requested the six speed manual. before I made the second payment, the truck broke down 5 times. However, dodge would not buy the truck back under the lemon law. you would need a really good lawyer to fight dodge. I am really glad I kept the truck. after I got a good mechanic from dodge to fix the problem this truck has been great. Pushing 175,000 miles and not another single issue. 24.5 mpg@70 mph 33.0 mpg@50 mph. still stock.

Don't buy
By Blaine on 06/21/10 07:27 AM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5M)

My truck developed the 'death wobble' and I've spent in excess of $2500 trying to fix it. If you aren't aware of what the 'death wobble' is, Google it. There is a serious design flaw in the 2500 and 3500 models that Dodge has yet to address let alone acknowledge. Do not buy this vehicle or it can happen to you. Most people that have this happen to them sell their trucks because of the difficulty in fixing. I'm surprised no one has died (which is probably why Dodge refuses to admit the problem).

Never buy one again!
By Dakken on 11/25/09 08:01 AM (PST)

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 4dr Quad Cab ST Rwd SB (5.7L 8cyl 5M)

I have never had a vehicle in the garage as much as this dodge. I bought a used 04 2500 4wd quad slt. My first repair was replacing all the shocks, driving on the highway if I hit a bump the front end would pound had to slow way to for it stop. Then my water pump went, all the pulleys went, evap leak had to replace all the hoses on top of the gas tank. Had to replace front u-joints and upper and lower ball joints on both sides. Now @ 70k have to replace muffler which you can not buy after market so I'm putting dual exhaust on it. Sad thing is this truck gets babied. I never tow or haul anything. Just drive to work and back. Worst truck I've ever owned!

Solid Workhorse
By Mark on 09/01/09 17:04 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (5.7L 8cyl 5M)

This truck has proved itself to be a great workhorse. About 80% of miles were empty city/highway and 20% towing very heavy loads (10,000#s +). Oil gets changed every 8,000 miles and run Marvel Mystery Oil every other tank. Only repair was a fuel pump at 80K which was covered under warranty. Plan on many more miles with this truck and wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

High Repair Costs
By not_dodge on 05/19/09 08:31 AM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 2dr Regular Cab SLT 4WD LB (5.7L 8cyl 5M)

I love this truck. It's a real stump puller. Tows heavy loads great.

Great Truck
By Hoodlum on 11/21/08 06:58 AM (PST)

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 4dr Quad Cab Laramie 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5M)

I bought it used with 60k miles. Not many used out there, then or now with the Cummins. Automatic has been great. Ride is a little stiff, but it's a real truck, 2500. Had the 1/2 ton,1997, gas, Dodge, no comparison. Now have 138k miles, looking at going with a chip. I run 185/70/17s, get 19.4 mpg, at 71mph. city/hwy average 17.6, no load, with bed cover. City and 6x12 box trailer milage 13.2. With trailer and these tires, running around town its a little weak, time to chip.Maintenance has been low, very few problems. Get the Laramie, it's worth it, you will appreciate them, I know I do.

Way better than Nissan & Toyota
By Kent on 06/30/08 02:51 AM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 4dr Quad Cab Laramie 4WD LB (5.7L 8cyl 5M)

Had a Nissan Titan before this.What a pile of crap it was. Always in for repairs. The Dodge never once has let me down. Looked at the Tundra. Overpriced and very UGLY. I can see why Toyota is trying to give them away now. Nobody wants them. Way to go Dodge. I'm sold. Two of my buddies traded in their Tacoma and Frontiers to get one also.

Bangin
By Cummin on 08/13/07 18:25 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (5.7L 8cyl 5M)

My Truck, a 2005, 2500 with the Cummins TD HO is the best truck I have ever owned. Speaking of owned... thats exactly what it does to the Ford and Chevy. It's the most quiet, fuel efficient, smallest engine, and still generates the more power. This truck is amazing. though the 48re is letting me down after 90kmiles ( having trouble shifting in between first and second gear) I still rate it a 10. I have every performance upgrade you can do to the engine.... minus twin turbos and have been running the stock tranny. I'm happy it's lasted this long.

Good truck
By kelly peek on 07/14/07 14:38 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5M)

Seats not as good as Ford super duty, but 5.9 diesel makes up for all short comings. Great towing and handling. Average 16 mpg towing 8-10000 lbs, 20-24 hwy .BFG rugged trails bad on wet road . Went to Toyo open country all terrain, no more sliding

Wonderful Truck
By Scott on 01/22/07 20:16 PM (PST)

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (5.7L 8cyl 5M)

My wife and I love my truck. I had a Dodge 1500 and traded it in on my Dodge 2500. The diesel is great and it drives better than any other vehicle I have ever had. The only thing I want now is a Mega Cab 2500. I have 4 boys and we have taken numerous trips for more than 500 miles and the truck was great. The mileage is usually around 22 to 23 mpg. The truck is great.