Used 2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 SLT Quad Cab Consumer Reviews - 9 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Quad Cab - Consumer Reviews

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Quad Cab

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 2500 model:

2003 RAM 2500 SLT 2X4 HEMI QUAD CAB
By HonkyTonk TN

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (5.7L 8cyl 5M)

Bought this used at 109K miles because of needing a truck, yet needed to still drive the kids around. It seats 6, just enough for all of us with more elbow room and leg room than a mini-van. It has all those neat gadgets the SLT package comes with. The HEMI 5.7 moves very easy with a light foot on the pedal. That's needed if you want to keep the mpg high. Compared to the 5.9L Magnum gas engines, the mpg does better with a light foot and the truck moves really well down the road. In city driving, one must lift the foot of the brake pedal and let the engine idle pull you forward at first from a standing stop. Then easy into the gas. If you tap the gas pedal, the HEMI power just kicks in like no tomorrow. The HEMI is a beast even as a 5.7L and wants to prowl and move fast. The 2500 provides great suspension handling and hauls loads with pulling trailers very well. Towed 190 square hay bales on the flat bed trailer, the HEMI makes it seem like nothing is back there. With my previous 5.2L (aka 318 Magnum), it wrestled some, but still got the job done. The bed already was Rino lined by the precious owner. It was done very well.

Ram 03 2wd quad
By George

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (5.7L 8cyl 5M)

I bought this truck new. It has lasted through 3 hobbies so far. A fifth wheel camper, a horse trailer, and now a 24ft cabin cruiser. It is the Laramie, edition with separate climate control for the front passenger, great for me and the wife. The leather has held up, mo cracks. It has pulled my stuff to Canada and back, Iowa and back and Key West and back. I live in NC. Still love this truck. I got the 2wd because, I new I'd be on the highway most of the time. A few times I could have used 4wd, but I enjoy the ride and fuel efficiency. 5.9 cummins standard output with a chip. I get 20 to 22 mpg empty. I can pull the 14 ft gooesneck and get 17mpg. With the 25ft fifth wheel I got 14 mpg.

I like the Quad cab for storage and passengers. Love the split climate control, ^ disc CD changer and heated seats. The leather in the front has been very confortable and tough as well.

A telescopic steering wheel would be nice and auto climate control would be a nice improvement. Mine is, turn it up or down as the sun changes.

Peice of junk
By silverbuck

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (5.7L 8cyl 5M)

Replaced all u joints, front hub, front drive shaft and the motor, yes the motor and this is my everyday family vehicle, pampered everyday. Terrible on fuel.

Engine sound, exterior looks great.

Everything other than the exterior the truck needs a serious overhaul, my truck has lived in the shop. I hate it. I sent an e-mail to Dodge about my truck with all of the repairs and the only thing they said was sorry about your look, hope you will continue to buy dodge products. WOW

A real truck
By cummins diesel

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (5.7L 8cyl 5M)

I traded my Toyota Tundra for the Dodge with a Cummins, because my Tundra couldnt handle my large fifth wheel travel trailer. The Cummins is awsome. It pulls my 12,000 lb. trailer like its not even there. I have to be careful or I will look down and be doing 80 mph without even knowing it. This truck will pull a house, it has terrific brakes, they stop on a dime. Fantastic heavy duty suspension. I can load this truck and it barely squats. A real mans truck. All this and I get 22 to 25 mpg highway and I still get around 15 pulling a trailer. The Cummins starts perfectly cold or hot. Great truck

The commanding road view and feel. Fun to drive. The smooth and strong cummins power, and fuel economy. The heavy duty work truck capability.

The body metal dents a little too easily. Paint needs to be more durable. Air conditioner freezes up at high speeds on really hot days. But I am told that adding an elbow to the drain condenser drain hose will fix it.

Fuel system n/g
By Robert Kelley

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (5.7L 8cyl 5M)

I've had my ram diesel in the shop 3 times due to fuel system problems mostly the fuel pump dodge tells me it's my fault and don't want to warranty it.

power & fuel mileage