Used 2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 2500 model:

Love my Dodge Diesel
By Dan

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5M)

Just passed 200K miles recently. HO Diesel still gets 17-19 on average and over 20 hwy. Only repairs were front universals and front diff input seal. I change the oil every 5K. Zero engine or trans problems. Change the trans, diffs, xfer case fluids every 30k. Flush the brakes and cooling at 100K. Truck still drives just like it did when I bought it new. Even the original BFG Rugged Trails went 120K miles. This set looks like they will go about 100K. Extremely reliable and still looks great! By far the best vehicle I have ever owned.

Diesel engine and overall how well the truck drives for such a big truck. Test drove the Ford with the 7.3 it felt like driving a school bus. So glad I didn't get a Ford 6.0!

Minor-Interior materials are a little cheap looking but they have majorly improved since I bought mine.

What a Delight
By Fishcop retired

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd LB (5.7L 8cyl 5M)

Traded our 1992 Dodge Cummins, which was a crusty, tough & dependable (but loud) rig, on this new to us 2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins. Who'd have believed a dealer's claim that a 7 year old truck "drives like new"? But it really does. It's been the last 6 years on a farm, minor bumps and bruises in the box, but in exceptional shape otherwise. Being able to carry on a normal conversation, without electronic ear protectors is another bonus! In the old '92 Dodge we had to raise our voices to be heard even with the noise muffs. Fuel economy blew me away. I was happy enough with the previous truck's 20 - 22 MPG (US), but this one cruises between 25 and 27 at speeds from 55 to 60 mph.

Modern practical interior... cup holder locations that are where they should be, center seat back storage unit, thick lipped tailgate that won't likely bow after 10 trips over it with my ATV.

None to think of yet... I'm just delighted that the truck built around this Cummins appears to be built to last a lot longer than the body on my old '92... Road salt here in Ontario destroyed the box frames. Frames on this one still like new.

I'm impressed.
By IdaAg93

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5M)

Just sold my '04 Silverado 2500 for a Dodge Cummins 2500, QC, 4x4, SB 6-speed, and there is no comparison in quality, toughness, stability, and workmanship. This Dodge is a much better vehicle than the Chevy and I'm a Chevy man for 20 yrs. I just crossed over. It handles better, feels more solid, steering is more precise, handles rough roads better, feels like it cost much more. This truck is one yr older and has 150k more miles than what I had. It feels and drives like it's this yrs model. Wished I'd driven a Dodge long ago.

Cummins power. Interior fit and finish. Handling on the road. Compartments.

Sheet metal. Automatic lights like Chevy. Small cup holders. Drinks tip over easily.

Fun to Drive but some issues.
By Ken

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5M)

The 5.7 Hemi has allot of power to both pull my boat and get into traffic. I also like the layout of storage under the back seats. The compartments are good at keeping things in order and out of the way. The gas mileage on this truck will drive the best to curse at the gas pumps. Also, the steering is very sensitive to road bumps and at times scary. The interior dash has cracked in several places and I've noticed that trend in other dodge trucks that my friends own. The truck is fun to drive and has allot of power for towing. I'd consider buying dodge again but with the deisel power plant to improve the gas mileage and hope they upgraded the plastic on the dash!

The Power of the Hemi engine and the storage in the back under the seats. Plus, it's just fun to drive.

Better gas mileage, better plastics on the dash and resolving the front suspension to have better control with rough roads.

Ram 03 2wd quad
By George

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (5.7L 8cyl 5M)

I bought this truck new. It has lasted through 3 hobbies so far. A fifth wheel camper, a horse trailer, and now a 24ft cabin cruiser. It is the Laramie, edition with separate climate control for the front passenger, great for me and the wife. The leather has held up, mo cracks. It has pulled my stuff to Canada and back, Iowa and back and Key West and back. I live in NC. Still love this truck. I got the 2wd because, I new I'd be on the highway most of the time. A few times I could have used 4wd, but I enjoy the ride and fuel efficiency. 5.9 cummins standard output with a chip. I get 20 to 22 mpg empty. I can pull the 14 ft gooesneck and get 17mpg. With the 25ft fifth wheel I got 14 mpg.

I like the Quad cab for storage and passengers. Love the split climate control, ^ disc CD changer and heated seats. The leather in the front has been very confortable and tough as well.

A telescopic steering wheel would be nice and auto climate control would be a nice improvement. Mine is, turn it up or down as the sun changes.