Used 2001 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Quad Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 2500 model:

Original Owner and Loving It
By JimInFL

2001 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab ST 4WD LB (5.9L 8cyl 5M)

I bought this truck new in 2001. It is a daily driver and I've put over 205,000 miles on it so far. I have never had any major drivetrain issues except the replacement of the front hub bearing at 200,000 miles, tranny governor at 120,000 miles, and A/C stuff (evaporator and compressor replacement). I have driven the new Ram 2500 with the Hemi and I still love my truck better. If I could have any vehicle in the world it would be a brand new 2001 Ram 2500. If you maintain it properly it will give you a million miles; I'm counting on it....

Favorite Features

Big Diesel Sound, Power and More Power, 17mpg in mixed driving, Classic Ram Styling

Suggested Improvements

Dashboard is a known problem and stinks, Give them a lifetime powertrain warranty.

None Better
By Parker

2001 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab ST 4WD LB (5.9L 8cyl 5M)

Bought the truck used with 54,000 miles on it. Use it to pull a 16,000 pound fifth wheel from Texas to California and back several times. Use it in my construction business. Previously owned a new 96, and 98 before buying this one and this is by far my favorite. If you buy a Dodge truck you will replace the front brake pads every 35,000 or less, but that is a small price to pay for this kind of quality. My V-10 has more power and torque than the cummins turbo diesel and the two speed torque converter in this truck always keeps you in the perfect power range. The automatic transmission went out on the trip back from DC while pulling a larger trencher dozer @ 155,000 miles. Great truck!

Favorite Features

Great power, 14 mpg and two speed torque converter is terrific.

Suggested Improvements

Would like to the the front brake pads go 50,000 miles.

Great Truck, But...
By Jene

2001 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab ST 4WD SB (5.9L 8cyl 5M)

When this truck runs, it really does a super job of towing a GN horse trailer, loaded down. It's awesome in steep terrain and on dirt roads, in ice, snow and on slick roads. However, at 42,000 miles, the clutch went out and was a pricey repair. Now the transmission made a popping sound and wouldn't engage. I'll have it towed to the dealer tomorrow. These breakdowns are serious and frustrating. And, Dodge Motors has no interest in covering these breakdowns so it's become a costly truck to own.

Favorite Features

I love the power, the towing capacity, the handling, the comfort and the super mileage, 20 to 24 mph even towing 3 horses in a GN steel trailer. This is actually a fun truck for this great grandmother to drive. YEE-HAH!!!

Suggested Improvements

The 6-speed manual transmission can gear down like a tractor, but it could use refining with better reliability, smoother engaging with less stiffness. Maybe next time, I'll opt for an automatic transmission with a jake brake.

Best Pick-Up I have ever owned
By Dick&Judy

2001 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab ST 4WD LB (5.9L 8cyl 5M)

The V-10 (488 CID) will out pull my 2000 Cummins. Its probably the best engine made. Only drawback is poor fuel economy. I have never had any problems with this vehicle in the 5 years I have owned it. The 5 speed manual is tops. Have only used the 4 wheel drive once, and it worked perfectly. Leather heated seats are a plus. I perform maintenance according to the owners manual.

Favorite Features

Sport exterior package. Powerful engine, will outpull anything. Flip-out mirrors for pulling trailer. Leather seats. Overhead message center.

Suggested Improvements

Improve fuel economy.

Fun at first..
By JuniperTree

2001 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab ST 2WD LB (5.9L 8cyl 5M)

The truck was great for the first 6 years. I had one minor air conditioning repair at around the 2nd year. Then everything started falling apart. The AC began spewing out stinky liquid so the heater core had to be replaced, then the car wouldn't shift out of 2nd without manipulating the gas pedal so the solenoids in the transmission had to be replaced. I pull a 8000lb horse trailer a dozen times a year and when the truck is behaving, she pulls great. I don't think she liked being a commute vehicle.. sitting in bay area traffic I'm sure contributed to the wear and tear. The next truck I get I'm buying will definitely be a 4x4!! I got her stuck more than once.

Favorite Features

I'm a short gal so I love scaring people with the engine.

Suggested Improvements

Dash cracked at year 5. Side mirrors have cracked and been replaced multiple times. Rear mirror hatch broke and had to be replaced. Overhead sunglass/remote holder's hatch broke. Goes through brakes like butter.