2001 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 2500 model:
Original Owner and Loving It
By JimInFL on 05/11/09 06:03 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 4dr Quad Cab ST 4WD LB (5.9L 8cyl 5M)

I bought this truck new in 2001. It is a daily driver and I've put over 205,000 miles on it so far. I have never had any major drivetrain issues except the replacement of the front hub bearing at 200,000 miles, tranny governor at 120,000 miles, and A/C stuff (evaporator and compressor replacement). I have driven the new Ram 2500 with the Hemi and I still love my truck better. If I could have any vehicle in the world it would be a brand new 2001 Ram 2500. If you maintain it properly it will give you a million miles; I'm counting on it....

None Better
By Parker on 08/10/08 18:12 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 4dr Quad Cab ST 4WD LB (5.9L 8cyl 5M)

Bought the truck used with 54,000 miles on it. Use it to pull a 16,000 pound fifth wheel from Texas to California and back several times. Use it in my construction business. Previously owned a new 96, and 98 before buying this one and this is by far my favorite. If you buy a Dodge truck you will replace the front brake pads every 35,000 or less, but that is a small price to pay for this kind of quality. My V-10 has more power and torque than the cummins turbo diesel and the two speed torque converter in this truck always keeps you in the perfect power range. The automatic transmission went out on the trip back from DC while pulling a larger trencher dozer @ 155,000 miles. Great truck!

Great Truck, But...
By Jene on 05/05/08 20:41 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 4dr Quad Cab ST 4WD SB (5.9L 8cyl 5M)

When this truck runs, it really does a super job of towing a GN horse trailer, loaded down. It's awesome in steep terrain and on dirt roads, in ice, snow and on slick roads. However, at 42,000 miles, the clutch went out and was a pricey repair. Now the transmission made a popping sound and wouldn't engage. I'll have it towed to the dealer tomorrow. These breakdowns are serious and frustrating. And, Dodge Motors has no interest in covering these breakdowns so it's become a costly truck to own.

Best Pick-Up I have ever owned
By Dick&Judy on 03/11/08 13:53 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 4dr Quad Cab ST 4WD LB (5.9L 8cyl 5M)

The V-10 (488 CID) will out pull my 2000 Cummins. Its probably the best engine made. Only drawback is poor fuel economy. I have never had any problems with this vehicle in the 5 years I have owned it. The 5 speed manual is tops. Have only used the 4 wheel drive once, and it worked perfectly. Leather heated seats are a plus. I perform maintenance according to the owners manual.

Fun at first..
By JuniperTree on 06/22/07 15:44 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 4dr Quad Cab ST 2WD LB (5.9L 8cyl 5M)

The truck was great for the first 6 years. I had one minor air conditioning repair at around the 2nd year. Then everything started falling apart. The AC began spewing out stinky liquid so the heater core had to be replaced, then the car wouldn't shift out of 2nd without manipulating the gas pedal so the solenoids in the transmission had to be replaced. I pull a 8000lb horse trailer a dozen times a year and when the truck is behaving, she pulls great. I don't think she liked being a commute vehicle.. sitting in bay area traffic I'm sure contributed to the wear and tear. The next truck I get I'm buying will definitely be a 4x4!! I got her stuck more than once.

Tough truck
By cummins power on 06/17/06 15:40 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 2dr Regular Cab ST 4WD LB (5.9L 8cyl 5M)

This truck has been the best thing I have ever bought. I work this truck hard pulling trailers and plowing snow. With the ho cummins mated to the 6 speed nothing wll phase it. I strongly recomend this if you need a good work truck that won't give up.The only thing I have done to it is put a 4 inch exhaust and a cold air intake.

My second Dodge and not my last one
By Tequila on 03/18/06 08:35 AM (PST)

2001 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 4dr Quad Cab ST 4WD LB (5.9L 8cyl 5M)

My truck has been a great service to me. Fuel injector pump went out at 30000 miles and again at 200000 miles. Clutch went out at 130000 miles and again at 300000 miles. At 430000 miles we just had the front end all redone. Our only problem was with the brakes and tires wearing quickly. The front end takes a big hit from that heavy engine.

No Durability
By DontByIt on 02/28/06 12:42 PM (PST)

2001 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 4dr Quad Cab ST 4WD LB (5.9L 8cyl 5M)

I started having problems right after the warrenty expired. The dealer is not interested in fixing. Dodge is not interested in fixing. These trucks have bad transmissions & lift pumps. My lift pump went out at 66K miles & destroyed the injection pump. $4000 later it is running again. Now the tranny & ball joints are going out. Buy a horse, you will get farther down the road.

One Awsome Dodge
By Willie B on 12/18/05 12:32 PM (PST)

2001 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 4dr Quad Cab ST 4WD SB (5.9L 8cyl 5M)

My Ram has the Cummins and 5-speed. I've put about 70,000 miles on it, and it's been extremely reliable; no mechanical failures or problems whatsoever. It gets about 20 mpg on the highway, which is amazing for a truck that weighs 6500 lbs. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this truck to anyone who needs a heavy-duty work truck.

2500 Diesel with Sport Package
By Hal Baker on 07/02/05 11:18 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 4dr Quad Cab ST 2WD SB (5.9L 8cyl 5M)

Overall,a pretty good vehicle, however I'm not very pleased with warranty repair response from Dodge Dealerships. Experienced two rear axle seal problems on same axle within 51,000 miles, which ruined the rear brakes, and Dodge would not repair. One recall for fuel boost pump(rebuild) which later failed and no consideration given.

1 2 3 4 5 next »