Used 1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 2500 model:

ram tuff
By Mike Baker

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

This '98 turbo diesel 2500 4x4 automatic is my second Dodge. I owned a '97 4x4 with a 5.2l (318) 1/2 ton 5 speed stick that I absolutely loved, but it couldn't handle a Lance camper and a boat. The '98 really handles the camper and boat very well; I blew by my father in law's Ford v-10 while he was pulling his a 26' light travel trailer; of course we were coming over Carson spur from the Nevada side. It's steep.

Electric driver seat gets up and tall; let's me know I'm in a truck that can handle the work. Seat is also adjustable to every angle and comfortable. Very reliable truck also. I change the oil and fluids when they need it, check tire pressure and it keeps on going.

I wish I had the standard tranny. I had a larger fuel pump spacer installed for quicker acceleration from stop. Runs quicker, but I only get about 13 mpg with a load; but that is at 65-75 mph hauling a Lance camper, sometimes a boat.

Best Truck!
By sawyern

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

We owned a 1998 Dodge 2500 12 valve diesel and it has proved to be the best truck we've ever had (and we've had many. The truck now has 184k and runs better then ever, we've barely done any work just your general maintenance and its gotten us everwhere we needed to be. We always go camping, hunting, wheeling, this baby hauls my other truck like nothing! The fuel mileage barely dips even when I'm towing 15,000lbs. One time at work a Cement truck came in and turned off its engine in the parking lot, he couldnt get it started so I had to pull start him. Don't get me wrong, it took all that baby had but it says alot that it was able to pull start a full cement truck!

Power, dependablity, looks, sound, everything

Nothing

Ruthless
By Ruthless

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

'98 V-10 absolutley a great truck. Never found anything it can't do that a truck should do. Named it Ruth for ruthless. Still purrs at 105,000 miles and has never left me stranded. Crossed I 40 pulling 11000 wide load boat never had to go below 50 on the hills. Awesome it's a keeper.

Gas mileage is 12 no matter what I am hauling or empty. Better than most v8s 500Hp-500 Ft lbs of torque. What more could you ask for?

Drivers side of front seat fabric gave out at 75k miles -seems to be common on this truck.

Poor Milage
By DODGE MAN

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

Great truck with really bad milage

Power and look

Fuel Economy on the V-10 leaves alot to be desired. Great Power shouldn't come at a cost of 9.5 mph on standard tires.

ram
By coach

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

An excellent truck for work of pleasure. could get better fuel mileage, but is accepatalbe for a truck of this type. Dealership was very helpful and service has been outstanding.

4x4, extended cab,

cup holders in both front and back are awkward. storage under back seat was insufficent but has been upgraded in newer models.