1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 2500 model:
200,000 miles and still going strong love my V10
By sandman80109 on 03/14/13 20:51 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

Have owned this truck for 8 years now and never had any trouble with it. Sure things wear out, that I've had to replace, but only due to age. My only complaint is the gas mileage. The truck is sport edition, extended cab, short bed.

1998 dodge 12v 5 speed
By gary174 on 01/19/13 14:29 PM (PST)

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 ST 4dr Extended Cab SB

i own a truck just like this one the only problem I have had was at 212000 miles my lift pump went out and the fuel relay went out and my sending gauge wasn't working had it replaced had to replace starter and idler pully too but that is the only trouble I have had with this truck these are items that will fail after that many miles. my truck is a 1998 quad cab long bed with a 5.9L 12value cummins diesel

Darn good truck!
By wlollar on 05/11/09 22:00 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Laramie SLT 4dr Extended Cab SB

Bought this truck used from a trusted dealer. Only wish I had bought a 4WD version. The Cummins engine has performed extraordinarly well. Only problems I've encountered was with the A/C system and starting to have fuel pump issues, but with 200k miles, it was to be expected. This will be the drawback because the total fuel pump replacement is VERY pricey, between $2000/$3000. If your looking for torque, this is the truck. I pull a 14,000lb 5th wheel camper with ease. The engine/drivetrain still does not leak a drop of anything on my driveway!

5.9L Cummins 24 valve
By t on 02/21/09 09:50 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Laramie SLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I own a 1998 with the 24 valve Cummins diesel. I love the truck fun to drive and all. I have had the truck for about a year plus and I have a $1500 from the Dodge shop for my tranny problems. Won't shift into overdrive. The Cummins is a strong truck and has decent mpg, about 16.5 unchipped. The truck is slow without a load. I have just had problems with this truck since I had it so I'm going with a Ford 250 or 350 for room, speed, and looks. Also better gas mileage. The trannys in Dodge trucks need to be made better for the Cummins or any Dodge that's made.

sweet ride
By florida boy on 10/09/08 16:04 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 ST 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I own a dodge ram 2500 with the cummins turbo diesel 24 valve. with 140,000k miles. It pulls all that i have. Nice truck. Rough ride due to the straight axle up front. The seat wear out and tranny slips in o/d going about 50 mph. I love this ride and i'm considering getting a 05 with the cummins. I get 16.5 mpg all the time and 15.5 pulling a full size truck in GA. get the diesel better on gas and sounds like a semi.gas is poor when pulling and downs the gas.

ram tuff
By Mike Baker on 04/01/08 21:00 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

This '98 turbo diesel 2500 4x4 automatic is my second Dodge. I owned a '97 4x4 with a 5.2l (318) 1/2 ton 5 speed stick that I absolutely loved, but it couldn't handle a Lance camper and a boat. The '98 really handles the camper and boat very well; I blew by my father in law's Ford v-10 while he was pulling his a 26' light travel trailer; of course we were coming over Carson spur from the Nevada side. It's steep.

One tough truck
By Mike on 03/29/08 19:13 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Laramie SLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

Driven many work trucks in my time. Never had one than ran as good or as strong as the 8.0 2500. Just one hell of a truck. Not the best gas mileage but there wont be anything you cant do.

Best Truck!
By sawyern on 09/18/07 16:58 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Laramie SLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

We owned a 1998 Dodge 2500 12 valve diesel and it has proved to be the best truck we've ever had (and we've had many. The truck now has 184k and runs better then ever, we've barely done any work just your general maintenance and its gotten us everwhere we needed to be. We always go camping, hunting, wheeling, this baby hauls my other truck like nothing! The fuel mileage barely dips even when I'm towing 15,000lbs. One time at work a Cement truck came in and turned off its engine in the parking lot, he couldnt get it started so I had to pull start him. Don't get me wrong, it took all that baby had but it says alot that it was able to pull start a full cement truck!

Ruthless
By Ruthless on 06/22/07 15:55 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Laramie SLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

'98 V-10 absolutley a great truck. Never found anything it can't do that a truck should do. Named it Ruth for ruthless. Still purrs at 105,000 miles and has never left me stranded. Crossed I 40 pulling 11000 wide load boat never had to go below 50 on the hills. Awesome it's a keeper.

Poor Milage
By DODGE MAN on 05/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Laramie SLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

Great truck with really bad milage