Used 1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 2500 model:

My Dodge Ram 2500 w/V10 Engine 4x4
By oldtrucks4fun

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

I have owned a 1997 dodge ram 2500 4x4 club cab with V10 since 2000. I had the engine replaced in in 1998 with 65,000 miles on it. Presently the the truck 103000 and the engine has about 40000. I have replaced or had rebuilt the following: 1. Engine 2. Rear end 3. Gas tank 4. Fuel pump 5. Front end rebuilt 6. New front clibers/bearings/and etc 7. Transmission rebuit 8. Water pump 9. New head liner 10. Numerous sensors 11. Several changes of tires - have 35" height tires. Changed motor mount twice 12. Next project alternator 13. Next project exterior paint job 14. It costs about $100.00 plus to fill the gas tank up in today market. Get 6-8 MPG. My son has a 1995 3500 standard cab with V10

Favorite Features

The power of the V10 Engine and the overall truck performance.

Suggested Improvements

Yes can think of many.

Poor Me
By Steve Butler

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

I made the big mistake of buying one of these lemons. I believe the rated towing is about 14,000 but don't think Dodge thought anyone would tow that much weight. Transmission went out at 25,000, replaced under warranty after 2 week wait which ruined my 2 week vacation. Dodge dealer never could get the brakes & alignment correct. It would never stop straight. Engine blew at 65,000. Out of warranty. Independent shop rebuilt it. Engine blew again at 75,000 & shop out-of-business. Now it sits in my garage with the engine setting in the back of the bed.

Favorite Features

The ones I added.

Suggested Improvements

I bought another Dodge but made sure it had a Cummins Diesel & Allison Transmission & a good warranty for mileage not years.

283,000 miles - are you kidding me?!?!
By Cagman10

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

When I bought this truck new, I never thought I would have it for so long. Hey, life happens and I still have the truck after 283,000 miles, a load of In 'N Out Burger droppings, and a hell of a lot of work. Tranny is a bit rough on cold winter mornings but I have no real complaints ... except, who would ever design a radio that is right under the cup holder? Hello?!?!? Ever hear of spilled coffee -- radio shorted out after four years. I will cry like when I was a kid watching Old Yeller when I have to put her down.

Favorite Features

I can pull houses off foundations.

Suggested Improvements

Move the cup holder -- increase the size of the front brake calipers and rotors. My wife's Audi has bigger front brakes.

Torque Monster
By Torque Monster

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Extended Cab ST 2dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

I bought the truck new for the Cummins and it hasn't let me down. It is a pullin' haulin' machine. Get the 5-speed that's the best tranny. This truck could probably pull a building down.

Favorite Features

Diesel Engine

Suggested Improvements

None

Reliable!
By Karen

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Extended Cab ST 2dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

Our truck has towed heavy trailers, carried 3000+ lbs., has 200k miles on it. Just replace tie rod; no other major repairs. Great diesel engine, good handling, had lots of offers but we don't want to sell!

Favorite Features

Full size bed

Suggested Improvements

More comfort in back seat