1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Consumer Review: Dodge RAM, 4X4, Diesel, Exten

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 - Consumer Review

ST Extended Cab Pickup (5.9L V8 4x4 5-speed Manual)

Dodge RAM, 4X4, Diesel, Extended Cab
By Jacob Skokan on

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 ST 2dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

My 1996 Dodge RAM diesel pickup was an excellent choice for a full size, 4X4 vehicle. In 9 years (180,000 miles), I replaced a power steering pump (1 time), front brake pads (3 times), an alternator (1 time), a rear seal on the transfer case (1 time), a headlight housing (1 time), and 12 volt batteries twice (it takes two). It is a rugged truck that has required very few repairs over the years. Besides that, I have never paid for an oil change or lube job since I bought the truck in March of 1996. It came with a "Yellow Card" which includes oil changes plus labor (but not the cost of the oil filter).

My truck stands "tall" so it is a pleasure to drive on the highway. One can see. The visibility is so much better than driving a smaller car. Also, the mileage for such a large vehicle is excellent. My best mileage was 25 mpg, and my worst was 14mpg. The average has been 17 to 18 mpg.

An access port to the sender unit (fuel sender for diesel level in fuel tank) would be very helpful. Without a port thru the floorboard, one must drop the entire fuel tank to change the fuel sender.