Awesome Diesel
By TomG on
1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB
Bought this truck new in 96 and have been extremely happy with it. The only real problems I've had have been related to rust after spending 6 long winters in Upstate NY where they use lots of salt. I have quite a bit of rust under the doors and had a fuel line and brake line rust through--not a good feeling having a 7,000 lb vehicle going down the road and finding I had no brakes. Fortunately, the high compression diesel slows you down quite a bit, and having a manual transmission helped too. I bought the truck for towing, but haven't done much (never got my boat), but when I have towed its as if there is nothing behind me--gobs of torque!
Favorite Features
Cummins Diesel is a great engine. Lots of torque, easy to work on, and I've averaged about 19 mpg over 125,000 miles which is pretty darn good for a 3- 1/2 ton 4x4. I plan on keeping this truck for another 10 years!
Suggested Improvements
The doors should be assembled with putty filling the folds in the bottom of the doors. This would help prevent the rust. Also, the OEM Goodyear Wrangler tires were troublesome with side walls developing bulges. This happened on two sets.